TiVo shows on your iPod

jacobdol

Registered
creator of and a leader in television services for digital video recorders, today announced an enhancement to its current TiVoToGo feature that will allow TiVo subscribers to easily transfer recorded television programming to their Apple iPod or PSP devices.
more here

On the PC _and_ the Mac? How big are 1h files? Are they MPEG-4 or H.264? Is it easy to handle, available internationally some day?

I'd imagine for both Mac's and PC's ... I bet it will be done via wireless connection as well as wired. TiVo supports Bonjour.

And with the iPod 5G, it would definitely make sense... Although again: Apple sees the Mac as the hub of your digital lifestyle, so that thing would probably not sync to the iPod directly, rather you'd get the videos from the DVR to the Mac and _then_ to the iPod. My idea would rather be that the DVR would save the videos in a format that already is good for the iPod, and then you could simply dock the iPod onto that DVR thing for a couple of minutes and have your video content "to go". Then again, if the DVR saves video in H.264 at 320*240, that isn't really a DVR quality to write home about, is it... But if it saves at higher resolution, re-encoding is needed which - as we know - takes too much time with QuickTime, even on a good Mac. Bah: Let Apple surprise us. :)

I heard about this TiVo thing this morning, makes me want to sell my 40GB 4th gen and get a 60GB 5th even more...and a tivo...

and a PC in order to transfer the TV shows... Hmm... ;) And for me it'd mean to move to the USA also. Maybe it's JUST a little TOO much hassle for me. ;)

I'm glad I have absolutely no interest in this, otherwise it sounds like I'd be frustrated.

Aren't there direct-to-Mac TV services where you could record programs on the Mac (I have no idea, though I gather you can on the PC)? And then you could just run an automated batch process on those files to prep them for iPod.

I guess one could use som external TV box for the Mac (eyeTV?) and let their software save the files to a location that has folder actions active. Then you could script your way through transforming the files with QT Pro and let the files be added to iTunes - from where they would auto-synch to the iPod...

Lt Major Burns said:
eyetv? what's the deal with that?

It's a external TV card device made by a european called Elgato Systems. I have the EyeTV 200 and it is a good unit with some great software. Getting the recorded TV program to my iPod 5G took some hunting for software(called EyeTV Exporter) that would get the TV recordings to a QuickTime format to transfer to my iPod 5G. Also the EyeTV software works really well with the current Toast.

Do you mean you have to use EyeTV Exporter to export to -some- QT format and then need QT Pro to transform for the iPod or can Etv Exporter do that directly? (MPEG-4, preferrably...)

The EyeTV Exporter is just a Apple Script and it directly does to MPEG 4 but does not give a indication of it's progress. It ran for about 4 minutes on a hour long program I recorded one day. I then had use QuickTime Pro to move it to my iPod. I am looking at using an Automater flow to make it a one step progress.

Back