to insert track/disc number to music files

pharme

Registered
Greetings everyone,

I just did a huge migration of music files from the ipod to my powerbook. The operation had left out about 20% of my music not transferred and then did some manual transfer ... hence i kinda messed up the music files in my folder. Like to ask a quick question, is there a script or a way that I can do a swift insertion of their track/disk number to all my music files in the music folder? Have been thru Doug's wonderful collection, didnt see one that might helps, or perhaps i missed it?

appreciated

pharme

Where exactly would a script be able to get the track numbers from?

Your best option is to select the first song from a given album, press Cmd-I to bring up the info, enter the track number for that song, and click "Next song". Then enter the track number for that song, and so on. The trouble is, you would have to look up the track number for every song against the CD sleeves. Not an easy task at all.

symphonix said:
Where exactly would a script be able to get the track numbers from?

Your best option is to select the first song from a given album, press Cmd-I to bring up the info, enter the track number for that song, and click "Next song". Then enter the track number for that song, and so on. The trouble is, you would have to look up the track number for every song against the CD sleeves. Not an easy task at all.

hi symphonix, perhaps I was not too clear about relating the problem. Your solution fixes the tracks (in iTunes app) and not the files in the folder (iTunes Music folder). Doug does have a couple of scripts already doing that.
I am more concern about appending the track/disc number at the beginning of every file located in iTunes Music folder.
I am left with two options, kill all track numbers in the folder or append them all. Either way should be dealt with a script or some other way not so laborous.

Thanks...

pharme

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I believe Media Rage will batch-rename files with your specified ID3 tag stuff... as long as your ID3 tags are in order and correct, this should do it:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/23758

This is so brilliant, both you and Media Rage. The app is smooth really. Just one more favor, is there a way to easily direct the tracks in my iTunes to the Music folder? Now that i have tonnes of tracks with exclamations that need to be pathed, and I am doing them manually, one by one, can be killing if one has hundreds to deal with.

And one more question, after Media Rage's File Renamer appended the tracknumber, tracktitle to the media files, would tracks in iTunes not able to find them eventually since the media files have been 'changed'? I have tried on a few songs, they work fine. I am tempted to do a bigger batch of renaming, and hope it will not lead to files locating issues.

Danke schön ElDiabloConCaca

pharme

Back