Toast doesn't burn 800MB CD-Rs ?

Dekatophil

Registered
I'm trying to burn a 800MB CD-R using Toast (as I succeeded once with Toast, burning a SVCD). However, there seems to be no way to have Toast recognize the correct size of the CD (it always indicates 700MB). I can't find where to set the size manually either.
The Finder/DU don't correctly recognize the disc either.

Any help ?
TIA

Either the feature is there, or it's due in an update.

In the meantime [and this is only a guess given I've never even seen a 800 meg cd] try: Utilities -> Create Temporary Partition...

And see what that does.

Hope that helps?..

I'm not sure whether this helps or not, but have you tried making an image of the files you want and then burning them with the Finder? Maybe this works I dunno.

This is _way_ off-topic, but Veljo, that avatar of yours looks unerringly like me posing for a mens clothes catalogue. I'm not kidding!

Stop it, it's scaring me... :confused: :D

Back on-topic. Yes, the Finder burn could be worth a pop...

also, you maybe got a few bad CD-Rs which don't really support more than 700 MBs. happened to me once. :/

Guys, thank you all so much. Well, I've tried different CDs from the same pack but all show the same error. Finder burning is actually worse than Toast as it reports the disc to have '670MB' ! FirerStarter doesn't even recognize my drive (a Pioneer 105!). Funny thing is, I once managed to burn a 800MB CD... About the disk image. Funny again, I created one at 800MB, but couldn't even copy the two files I wanted to burn although they are both about 386MB... The file sizes, however, seem to be ok.
And anyway, Toast still wrongly reports the size of the CDs.
Over burning: Well, I managed to overburn some in Toast, but, AFAIK, this is not about overburning (or maybe I got the terminology wrong): The CDs are actually advertised as 90min./800MB. I don't know about other countries but here in Germany those aren't that uncommon...

:confused:

@Fryke: I'll get a different lot of discs soon and will see how I fare.

Well, technically, ANYTHING over 650MB is overburning. CD-Rs are rated for 650MB/74 minutes, but manufacturers have found ways to allow more data to be put on the CDs. There's a "buffer" space at the end of a CD that isn't supposed to be used, but can be to allow more data to fit on the CD. That buffer area was meant to be reserved for the "lead-out" data, but sometimes you can use the extra space for normal data.

700 and 800MB CDs have become commonplace, but they don't conform to the CD standard of 74 minutes/650MB, and can sometimes have errors if you write over 650MB of data to them.

In a nutshell, the most usable space you'll get out of a CD-R is 650MB or 74 minutes of audio (minus the dead space between tracks, lead-in, lead-out). You CAN burn more data onto a CD, but you may end up with errors and the Mac platform doesn't provide many tools for doing so. Some CD-R manufacturers even advertise their CD-Rs as being able to hold more MB/more minutes than a regular 650MB/74 minute CD-R, but finding the tools to actually burn that much data on the Macintosh is tough.

Here's an article on CD-R sizes and "overburning:"
http://users.forthnet.gr/ath/axatis/FAQs/CDR/Media/overburning.htm

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Well, technically, ANYTHING over 650MB is overburning. /snip/
Wow, didn't know that. Thank you. Now, I only hope that I could tell Toast manually to assume the disc to hold 800MB... (as it worked once <sigh>).
Well, I'll keep trying to trick Toast into overburning :)

Back