toolbar in os x...

bolindilly

John Galt Member
ok, as most of you have noticed... when you collapse the toolbar in the finder in os x, every new folder opens in a new window...

is there anyway to make this not happen (any hidden preference)
i want to collapse the toolbar when i want and still be able to navigae in one window (like in the PB)...

anyone have answers, help?

bolindilly

thanks...

Yeah,

I take it you are new to the mac. The thing to do is hold down the option key when you open a new folder. This will spawn a window for that folder and then close the one behind it. This is old school way of doing things and is MUCH nicer than the open in the same window stuff in this new version.

The nice thing about this way is lets say you have a window positioned just the right size for its contents the way you want it. If you open a window in the same one, you get the same sized window as the last. Kind of dumb unless you like Windows OS.

So this way each window has it's size remembered AND you get to close the one behind it or sometimes not... and you don't have to deal with that ridiculous toolbar that no one uses. At least we have that option, i don't know of one in Windows that closes the one behind it.

Remember, option key. it can be your friend. Oh yeah and if you press the command key and click on the title of the folder window, it gives you a pull down menu that shows the heirarchy view of where you are in the file system and allows you to go back to any parent folder previous to the one you are in.

i've actually been using mac for years, and i know all about the option-click thing. what i want is for the next folder to open in the same window when the toolbar is collapsed (just like when the toolbar is expanded). i like this way of navigation better actually. one window that is static provides for quickest navigation (especially b/c you have the path and back buttons on the expanded toolbar). any help

bolindilly

ps- sorry to sound like a dick. i don't mean to be. i was just trying to say that i knew about your resolution, terran...

Originally posted by bolindilly
i've actually been using mac for years, and i know all about the option-click thing. what i want is for the next folder to open in the same window when the toolbar is collapsed (just like when the toolbar is expanded). i like this way of navigation better actually. one window that is static provides for quickest navigation (especially b/c you have the path and back buttons on the expanded toolbar). any help

I am confused. You don't want the toolbar but you like the options in the toolbar so you can navigate back. That can only be done with the toolbar on though.

Hmmm... Ok I think I see get what you want. You want to be able to expand the toolbar when you need to go back but hide the toolbar as the normal view and still have the window act as if the toolbar was there so it opens the next window within that one window...

I don't think I know how that is done so i'll shut up now lol. good luck

ps- sorry to sound like a dick. i don't mean to be. i was just trying to say that i knew about your resolution, terran...

You were being a dick? wow you're the most polite one i've met! :)

[/B]

no prob...
so, does anyone else have an answer to my problem???
i want to be able to navigate in the same, static window while to toolbar is collapsed...

thanks,
matt

I don't know if its possible to do based on how they coded the Finder. Option was supposed to reverse the behavior (open in same window when toolbar is closed) but does not appear to do so.

PS: If you don't want the window to close you can command-double-click to open in a new window and leave the old one open.

One other option is to view the toolbar in the Finder as text-only (i.e., no icons). I've got it like this, & the outcome is that it is not obtrusive, & items open into the one window instead of new ones. I guess this isn't optimal if one likes icons instead; but it's the only other idea I've got.

Noel

As far as I know, choosing the hide tollbar option automatically puts you in spawning window mode. I have no solution for you other than the one posed by iamnoel. Which is how I have mine set-up. The text-only option takes up very little room, but you still get all the functionality.

Unlike terran74, who thinks he speaks for the rest of us:
---------------------------------------------------------------
" I take it you are new to the mac. The thing to do is hold down the option key when you open a new folder. This will spawn a window for that folder and then close the one behind it. This is old school way of doing things and is MUCH nicer than the open in the same window stuff in this new version.

The nice thing about this way is lets say you have a window positioned just the right size for its contents the way you want it. If you open a window in the same one, you get the same sized window as the last. Kind of dumb unless you like Windows OS."
----------------------------------------------------------------

I, for one, am not a windows fan, but enjoy the simplicity of a single window mode for some things, and the option of using the spawning window mode by holding down **APPLE / COMMAND** when double-clicking. Single window mode is especially useful with Column view, where multiple windows can be more of a nuisance than a benefit. NOt to mention, single window mode can be a lot quicker to get around without having to move your cursor a lot, and closing windows.

Again, terran74
----------------------------------------------------------------
"So this way each window has it's size remembered AND you get to close the one behind it or sometimes not... and you don't have to deal with that ridiculous toolbar that no one uses. At least we have that option, i don't know of one in Windows that closes the one behind it. "
-----------------------------------------------------------------

That ridiculous toolbar is one of the handiest and most work-flow streamlining features that Apple has come up with in years. I use it, and I think a great number of others use it as well. DO you realize, terran74, that the toolbar puts spring-loaded folders to shame, making moving and copying files a quick and painless single-step drag and drop to your most used folders, instead of waiting and navigating through folder after folder when using spring loaded folders. I hope you realize that you can drag and drop items to any folder you put in the toolbar. Because if you think it's useless, I'm guessing you haven't figured this out yet.

Anyhoo, bolindilly, let me know if you find some sort of hack for this, it will be interesting to try it out.

Originally spewed by pbrice

Unlike terran74, who thinks he speaks for the rest of us:

I always speak for the rest of us. Afterall, this is the computer for the rest of us.

I, for one, am not a windows fan, but enjoy the simplicity of a single window mode for some things, and the option of using the spawning window mode by holding down **APPLE / COMMAND** when double-clicking. Single window mode is especially useful with Column view, where multiple windows can be more of a nuisance than a benefit. NOt to mention, single window mode can be a lot quicker to get around without having to move your cursor a lot, and closing windows.

Column view is the most difficult counter productive view i've seen. First of all, the live scrolling bites. I have a G4/400 with 320 Mbs of ram, second drive for my swap file, and an ATI Radeon. It still crawls and even when it wasn't so horrible to use this view in NeXT, it was still a pain to navigate. Maybe its good if you want to go to the folder previous to the one you are in but unless you have a window that stretches all across your screen to get to the folders down the tree, what good is it? It's just another view but I hardly call it a replacement to any Classic feature.

of the handiest and most work-flow streamlining features that Apple has come up with in years. I use it, and I think a great number of others use it as well. DO you realize, terran74, that the toolbar puts spring-loaded folders to shame, making moving and copying files a quick and painless single-step drag and drop to your most used folders, instead of waiting and navigating through folder after folder when using spring loaded folders. I hope you realize that you can drag and drop items to any folder you put in the toolbar. Because if you think it's useless, I'm guessing you haven't figured this out yet.

I have figured this out. Trust me mr. man, springloaded folders are coming back and they can't even touch the simplicity of spring loaded folders. Sure its great that you can drag into your favorite folder. But that is just 1 folder. I have to usually drag items into 10s to 100s of folders in a week. Am I supposed to put all those in my toolbar? I think not. Keep your favorites. I'll take my spring loaded folders which not only allowed me to place items BUT IT ALSO ALLOWED ME TO QUICKLY VIEW ITEMS without having a string of windows to close. It was brilliant.

Just because Avie thinks column view is best does not mean we must all listen to him and convert. I think Apple knows to bring back those popular features into MacOS X. What harm is it to bring them back?

So says the rest of us.

:) Have a nice day.

the original point of this post was to figure out a way to navigate in a static window without the toolbar (which i have no problem with by the way, it's jsut big on the ibook screen). we've evolved to arguing over the significance of spring-loaded folders... just to adda little sarcasm, where's the attention span!?

(all in jest...)
so, back to seeing if anyone can solve this for us all...
any help?

bolindilly

Sorry, bolindilly. I haven't seen of any work-arounds for what your looking for on any of the posts. Let us know if you do!

Enjoy!

Back