Trade my PC for a Mac

Ubuntu

Registered
Does anyone think I could trade my laptop for a Macbook Pro or an Imac both running at least Leopard? Not a brand new one but not old either.
Here are the specs:
Studio 1735, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5 GHz 800 Mhz 6m L2 Cache.
Midnight Blue color.
4GB DDR2
Back-lit keyboard
Hi Res glossy 17 inch widescreen WLED
8x Slot Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
ATI mobility radeon hd 3650
320GB 5400rpm SATA hard drive
Windows Vista Sp2 Home Premium
2.0M pixel webcam
Adobe Acrobat
Roxio Creator DE 10
Lojack theft revovery 3 year
Mcafee 3 year
3 year limited warranty
3 year accidental damage warranty
fingerprint reader (allows you to log on to computer by swiping your finger)
and a lot of extra software.

No, you could not trade it, but you might be able to sell it. EBay perhaps. Is your laptop worth $1000 dollars used? Maybe, but you must remember that Apple is a premium product and similar spec computers will be worth more if they are Macs.

Yah I doubt anyone would want to trade their Mac for a PC....
I would find someone to sell your PC to then you could go here if you want a cheaper mac, and still have a warranty. If you don't care about the warranty and want to get as cheap as you can, then eBay would work well. I've even had good experiences with CraigsList. I'm sure you could also sell your PC on either eBay or CraigsList.

I understand that my laptop is more than a year old, as such I am looking for a more than a year old mac. Whether you believe it or not my laptop cost $2400
now that is a more than an even trade for a mac as most Macs don't have the same features as the laptop. I want to trade for a Mac because I know the price of any computer goes down a lot after a year and would be better trade rather than sell it. If I sold it, I could get it for probably $1000 or more which I don't think is a lot compared to what I purchased it for.

I understand that my laptop is more than a year old, as such I am looking for a more than a year old mac. Whether you believe it or not my laptop cost $2400
now that is a more than an even trade for a mac as most Macs don't have the same features as the laptop. I want to trade for a Mac because I know the price of any computer goes down a lot after a year and would be better trade rather than sell it. If I sold it, I could get it for probably $1000 or more which I don't think is a lot compared to what I purchased it for.

Macs hold their value a lot longer than their PC counterparts. Macs from the year 2001 are still selling for several hundred dollars -- I doubt you could pay someone to take a PC off your hands from that same era. Yes, Macs do depreciate, just at a much slower rate than PCs.

...and I believe you already have the mindset that will prevent your trade from ever taking place: if you insist on trading for a Mac that is feature-for-feature complete with your current computer, you will never end up finding anyone that's willing to trade. Macs don't have fingerprint scanners, for example. I think thinking in terms of features is going to give you an artificially inflated perceived value of your computer.

My suggestion is to sell your PC for cash, then take whatever cash you get and purchase a new or used Mac. I believe that trying to make a "trade" will lead you down a dead-end road of frustration. No one that is truly enjoying their Mac is going to want to trade you, and those that are not enjoying their Macs probably have Macs that are worth less than you'll accept. I think you're going to have a hard time "trading" your PC for a Mac while having both parties walk away thinking they each got a fair deal.

It is quite possible that you will find a Mac user who purchased a nice Mac, then decided they really didn't like it and are looking to get back into the Windows or Linux side of things... but I doubt you'll find someone like that here on these forums.

Here's a fair amount of information and links to new/used/refurbished Macs from several different companies:
http://www.lowendmac.com/deals.shtml

Last edited:
Look at #5, it is the only one that really matters....

1. Yes Mac's seem to go down in value much slower.
2. I am not looking to trade with someone on the forums only if anyone thinks I could do this.
3. Obviously I couldn't get one that's exactly the same, since mine is a 17-inch, and a Mac would obviously cost more for the same screen size.
4. Also I do understand that many people who "go mac never come back" so yes I would be looking for someone who bought a mac but didn't like it.
5. You must understand however, that my laptop has more features than even current macbooks (maybe not imacs) and that should be considered before saying that my laptop is worthless compared to macs. So an older mac for my laptop is an extremely good deal for someone who doesn't like mac.
6. Regardless, Mac's are not superior nor are they inferior than Linux or Windows I simply want one because I think it is feature rich, a lot of people have them, and I simply never had one. Honestly the software and look of a mac are the only thing super good about it. And if I want security, visual effects, and ease of use I would get Ubuntu which I have.
7. Id rather have an imac because believe it or not macbooks are definitely the only apple product that is actually overpriced.

I've seen requests for trades on Craigslist, and it's free. That would probably be my first choice.

Bot

Regardless, Mac's are not superior nor are they inferior than Linux or Windows I simply want one because I think it is feature rich, a lot of people have them, and I simply never had one. Honestly the software and look of a mac are the only thing super good about it.

I would say both linux and Mac OS are quite superior to Windows. Yes Windows has the most software (and viruses) and all you need is Wine to fix that for both linux and Mac OS.

And if I want security, visual effects, and ease of use I would get Ubuntu which I have.

I agree that Ubuntu is easy to use but compared to Snow Leo :eek: You can't get better security or ease of use than with Mac OS.

Please note that these are just my opinions. I do not wish to offend anyone. I actually use Windows everyday as my main computer (I don't have an Intel Mac yet).

Following your Specs that you post, PowerMax has given a 216 dollar estimate, now obviously your computer is worth much much more, but this gives you an idea how it is appealed when your taking a PC against a Mac.

$216.00

2. I am not looking to trade with someone on the forums only if anyone thinks I could do this.
I think it's quite possible, but you're going to have to run into a very special-case person: someone who bought a relatively new Mac, is unhappy with it, and wants to get back into the Windows side of things. I think it's highly unlikely that you will find this person. I do not think your trade is going to happen, and I think it's best you sell the computer for cash then use the cash to purchase a new/used/refurbished Mac.

Short: I don't think it's going to happen.

Just my opinion, as I've seen several others in this same situation. If you continue with the "more features" mindset, then it is of my opinion that you should stick with Windows PCs -- because if you can't get that Macs are not about cramming tons of "features" into a computer case, then once your trade does happen, you're going to be decidedly unhappy with your Mac. It helps to put yourself into a "minimalist" mindset when considering a Macintosh.

5. You must understand however, that my laptop has more features than even current macbooks (maybe not imacs) and that should be considered before saying that my laptop is worthless compared to macs. So an older mac for my laptop is an extremely good deal for someone who doesn't like mac.
Never said it was worthless, I'm just saying you're putting a higher value on "features" than what the market will. Little things that were "cool" when you purchased the laptop like a fingerprint scanner or a card reader have extremely little value in the aftermarket. The big things are RAM, hard drive, processor and screen (not particularly in that order) -- and that's about it.

For example, if you were selling a laptop that had a Core 2 Duo processor, 1GB RAM and a 320GB hard drive, let's say you could feasibly sell it for $300.

If you add a fingerprint scanner and a built-in card reader (i.e., more "features"), you could feasibly sell it for $305.

"Features" don't matter, much like a used car -- they just need a good, healthy engine and be structurally sound. Tinted windows, back-seat air conditioning, heated seats, steering wheel-mounted radio controls -- they are worthless in the aftermarket and do not add considerable "value" to the car. Same with computers.

This is what you have to sell, basically:
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
4GB DDR2
17 inch widescreen
CD/DVD Burner
320GB 5400rpm

These "features" do not add significant value to the computer whatsoever:
Studio 1735, T9300 800 Mhz 6m L2 Cache.
Midnight Blue color.
Back-lit keyboard
Hi Res glossy WLED
8x Slot Load (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)
ATI mobility radeon hd 3650
Windows Vista Sp2 Home Premium
2.0M pixel webcam
Adobe Acrobat
Roxio Creator DE 10
Lojack theft revovery 3 year
Mcafee 3 year
3 year limited warranty
3 year accidental damage warranty
fingerprint reader (allows you to log on to computer by swiping your finger)
and a lot of extra software.
I understand that those "features" may have significantly influenced what the original price of the computer was new, but in the used market, they mean very little.

You're selling a Dell Studio 1735 that retailed for $2400. You want a Mac in an even trade.

Given what I know about Dell (worked there for 6 years, have friends still there), I would probably not purchase a Dell laptop. That means trading for a "used" laptop is even less desirable.

As others have suggested; sell your Dell, get what you can and then put that towards the Mac you want. eBay is a good way to go, but only if you protect yourself on your payment methods.

Take care,

Look at #5, it is the only one that really matters....

1. Yes Mac's seem to go down in value much slower.
3. Obviously I couldn't get one that's exactly the same, since mine is a 17-inch, and a Mac would obviously cost more for the same screen size.
4. Also I do understand that many people who "go mac never come back" so yes I would be looking for someone who bought a mac but didn't like it.
6. Regardless, Mac's are not superior nor are they inferior than Linux or Windows I simply want one because I think it is feature rich, a lot of people have them, and I simply never had one. Honestly the software and look of a mac are the only thing super good about it. And if I want security, visual effects, and ease of use I would get Ubuntu which I have.
7. Id rather have an imac because believe it or not macbooks are definitely the only apple product that is actually overpriced.

not to be mean but Good Luck finding any1 who is willing to part with a mac and get a windows!!!! but i would recommend selling it then buying macbook!

Guess they don't teach critical reading skills much anymore. The thread is 2.5 years old, effectively ancient history. Ubuntu (the OP) has moved on.

Back