Transfer from Mac to Mac

redhead71

Registered
We are installing Tiger on all our Macs at work. (G4 memory 1.25 GB Dual Processors: 1.25 GHz) My boss has the idea that we can do one, then using a USB linking cable, copy that onto all the others. I am thinking there is some kind of licensing issue here. Is that the case? If not, can anyone tell me how to do this? I can't find anything on the Internet anywhere. Thanks!

You need a valid license for each computer you intend to install Mac OS X on. Spending $129 on one copy of Mac OS X and installing it on multiple machines is illegal. The true cost would be $129 multiplied by the number of computers you intend to install it on.

Also, you cannot use a USB cable to "network" the computers in a fashion that would allow you to clone one installation to another. The workaround is to use a FireWire cable between the computers, start the target computer up in "FireWire Target Disk Mode" by holding down 't' as the computer boots, then use software such as Carbon Copy Cloner to "clone" the Mac OS X installation on the master machine to the target machine.

Mac OS X isn't like Mac OS 9 in the sense that in Mac OS 9, you could simply copy the entire hard drive to another hard drive and retain all functionality and bootability. You cannot simply copy the files from one Mac OS X installation to another due to UNIX-style permissions -- the resulting copy would not be bootable. Carbon Copy Cloner takes care of these issues and correctly sets permission bits (among other things) to produce a fully bootable "clone" of your installation.

01. Yes, you can install 'Tiger' on all your G4's ... if you have a site license or individual licenses (installation disc per G4).

02. If you perform, via Firewire or Ethernet, the copying process proposed by your boss - expect all the G4's to have the same 'username' (account) and 'Computer name'.

03. You would / could use FireWire or Ethernet, not USB, to install from one Mac to many Mac's via a server based Mac, using Network Install.

I hope you get to read this reply before your post is either removed or 'closed'. Please see 'Can I install OS X 10.4.4 on my old G4 Mac?' and 'Can I install OS X 10.4.4 on my old G4 Mac? [re-introduced]' to understand this statement.

barhar: Why would "someone" (read your private messages, dude...) delete or close _this_ thread? It's not the same question that's been posted ~ 11 hundred and six times when Tiger was new (plus another five hundred times in the time since then...). This is, as you've obviously noted, a different question.
If _part_ of a question is answered in a different thread, then a link (as you did) is perfectly appropriate.

Back