trash authentication? error -8062

JoeMan

Registered
Hey all,

I'm having trash trouble. Everytime I try to empty my trash, I'm promted that the Finder needs my Authentication to proceed. When I put in my user name and password I get something to the effect of:

"Command could not be completed ..... error -8062."

So far I've tried the following:

-I have looked everywhere for this error code and it doesn't seem to exitst.

-Created another user to see if maybe there was a problem with the user account.

-Used the root account and password at the prompt

-Ran disk utility (both in GUI and safe mode)

-Checked permissions on the System folder- it is owned by System.

Help me MACOSX.com.....you're my only hope!

Here are some suggestions.

First all, did this just start? Has it been happening since the last 10.1.x update? By the way, what System are you running and on what hardware?

You said you could log into other accounts on the machine so it seems that you have and admin account. So when you logged in the machine as another user or root do you get the same error message?

Another idea is you may what to install the Apple 10.2.6 Combo Update. The combo updates seem a lot more stable than the updates to the system through the software update. You could try this before the full reinstall.

Plus, it it would be helpful if you can post the trash error message from your Console log.

oops, sorry, I guess it would help if I mentioned the OS version:

I'm running OS 10.2 (on a PowerBook G4)

I will mention that I had to copy over the mach_kernel file from the install CD onto my hard drive (this done under OS 9) due to the system freezing up at startup (couldn't get passed the apple!)

I was in the process of performing the 10.2.6 combo update, but had to quit midway (it was installing very slowly and I thought there may be something wrong- but that was a HUGE mistake!)

After rebuilding the system to make it operational again, I managed to get everything working...except for the trash.

I suppose I could try the combo update again. I'm just a little affraid now because of what happened last time.

Hope this helps and thanks for your responses!

I reckon that I won't be receiving any more replies to my thread, but I thought I would at least post that I managed to solve the problem (for closure purposes)

I booted from a CD and ran the "Repair Permissions" function available through DiskUtility. It appears that just about every file on my disk was owned by "501" (isn't that the trash?) and a whole bunch of other files had bad group owners.

So, after a few minutes my trash functionality was restored.

Hope this will someday help someone else out!

Good idea, repairing permissions.

Here's another: Don't mess with the system if it's doing something important like upgrading, unless you are absolutely sure that it's frozen. If it's taking a long time, that isn't necessarily a good or bad sign, but it just means it'll take longer than you'd like for it to complete. Installation is one of the major time consumers for software, and you just have to put up with whatever install speed you get.

Permissions snafus are still occasional side effects of Apple's OS upgrade process. Even if you allow the system to complete its upgrade, you might still find some permissions have been set incorrectly.

Chances are that if after a system upgrade you have problems accessing a file or function (such as emptying the trash, or even seeing the login screen), it's a permissions problem.

Those of us who were installing OS X betas in the fall of 2000 remember the permissions getting set incorrectly on the root level of the startup volume, causing all kinds of headaches. Believe it or not, this is still a problem -- someone just told me they ran into this after the 10.2.6 update!

Regardless, there's a simple little trash emptying script that can force its way through locked file and permissions problems. It's been posted here before.

sudo chflags -R nouchg ~/.Trash/*
sudo rm -R ~/.Trash

I actually keep this as an executable script in my dock; years later it still comes in handy.

Back