Traveling with G4??

digital919

4down Productions
i'm goin to be goin out of town for about a month.. i would like to take my system with me..

anyone have any expeireince with getting a G4 on a plane?

I've been thinking that i will just wrap it up as good as possible, in bubble-wrap, and towels, then just boxing it up with many many MANY fragile stickers..
I was planning on taking the internal hard drive out and carrying it with me on the plane, is this whole thing just a bad idea, or does it seem feasible?

Thanks for any input!!!

DiGiTAL919

Absolutely, take the hard drive out and wrap it with even more care than you have for the chasis. There are mechanical, moving parts in the hard drive that can be dislocated if handled roughly. So carry it with you like carrying a baby :)

Eek. That sounds scary. I wouldn't trust the baggage handlers, now matter how much wrapping I put it in, or how many "Fragile" stickers I put on it. heh. if you go through with this, hope it works. *crosses fingers*

mamma mia. I would never take my desktop setup on a plane. LCD's can crack in airline cabins with the pressure/temperature drop (I know this is a long-running argument, but believe me, it's happened to more than one of our company laptops).

I would find somewhere that could rent you a powerbook, and spend an hour with an ethernet cable, for the peace of mind.

Hence the reason why laptops were invented. If you can't get an iBook or PB, what about an external drive? They're cheaper. You could clone your system, then find a Mac wherever you're at and use the ex drive.

I would have to agree with the others here -- if you do have a choice, do NOT take the tower on the plane. Many a time I have sat in my airline seat, watching the baggage handlers out the window completely beat the crap out of the suitcases and packages they're loading.

I would also only put ONE fragile sticker on the package, or maybe one sticker per box side. Overkill on the stickers would probably tempt the baggage handlers to be a little rougher with the package -- you know how they are.

Could you possibly ship the computer to yourself wherever you're going? I know it would be expensive to ship, but it'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the computer due to negligent baggage handlers.

Back