Tried To Reset Password, Now Mac Won't Boot.

BrendanKOD

Registered
Hello, I recently got a used mac and ran into the problem that I couldn't install some new programs because I didn't know the password. I tried doing a few of the Single User mode hacks to reset the password, most of which returned a "Command not found" type response, but now when I got a little frustrated and tried rebooting to check something else out, I found that my mac isn't booting up. It sounds the tone (And I can use the comand S bit to go into terminal,) it shows the screen with the apple and the little spinning wheel for a while, then after the hard drive spins up for about six or seven seconds, it reboots.
My OS version is 10.5.8, as mentioned I can get to the Terminal, but I have no clue what commands I'll need to enter to diagnose, let alone fix this problem.
What can I do?

Brendon,
Nobody jumped in, so I'll give it my best.
I do not know terminal commands. Saying that, I'd reinstall the OS from your system disk(s) that I'm sure came along with your used Mac. NO??
If no system disk, bypass 10.5.8 (It is far too expensive if you can actually find it) Go for 10.6--Snow Leopard. Easily available. I've even heard that the Apple store has it for $19.95.
Since this is relatively new to you, you won't have too much of your own on it. Do a fresh install. You can then use your own password.
After reinstall, just go to updates and get to 10.6.8

Which model Mac do you have?
A PowerPC, with a G4, or a G5 processor, for example, cannot go to Snow Leopard. That requires an Intel processor, which would be a Mac new since early 2006 or later.
Before that (Early 2006), will be PowerPC, and Snow Leopard can't work.
But, as you aren't sure what you did, and now it is not booting, it's really likely that you have moved one of the system files, or deleted it, or maybe just damaged it by improperly performing some random terminal command.
Doesn't matter too much, the result is a system that is not booting, and you will need to reinstall OS X. If you don't have the 10.5 system reinstall DVD, maybe you can get that from the seller of the used Mac.
As SGilbert said - you might find the Leopard installer somewhere on the net, like Amazon.com, or eBay, etc. Still not cheap. Not long ago you had to pay more than $100 for one. I haven't looked for a couple of years. Maybe you will have better luck.
Anyway, if you were lucky and actually got an OS X reinstall DVD, you can boot to that, then choose the install, with an option called Archive & Install. That will do the OS X equivalent of a repair install on Windows.
You can get back to us here, and let us know how it goes.

When I start up my 15 inch Macbook pro, it gets to the apple logo screen with the spinning gear underneath and it just stays there and does not startup. I have let it sit that way for up to an hour and it juts stays on that screen. Please help!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Early 2015)

Tapsi Sarkar

When I start up my 15 inch Macbook pro, it gets to the apple logo screen with the spinning gear underneath and it just stays there and does not startup. I have let it sit that way for up to an hour and it juts stays on that screen. Please help!

Boot to your recovery system: Restart, while holding Command + R.
At the menu, run Disk Utility, then Repair Disk.

Boot to the built-in Diagnostics (Restart, holding the D key).
Are any error codes reported?

If you don't see any problems with either test, and no errors are reported, boot back to the Recovery system (again - Restart, holding Command + R)
Choose to reinstall OS X.
That will download the system files, then reinstall in place on your Mac. You won't lose any of YOUR files or apps that you have installed. The OS X reinstall will simply rebuild the system files, and make sure that the system is installed properly.
If that does not solve your boot issue, then you will need to contact AppleCare, or take your MBPro to an Apple Authorized service centre.

Back