Trouble at school

twingate

Registered
Ok, I'm having trouble connecting to the wireless network at my university. My 12" G4 ibook seems to grab onto the least suitable network router in the area.

At home I'm getting great signal strength and speed, but at school although the signal strength is good my speeds are intolerably slow. People with the newer Intel Macs don't seem to have the same issue, but I'm far from alone with the speed issue.

To resolve things my xp using friends pop open their network window thingie and select a better access point, problem solved.

The trouble is that I don't seem to be able to do the same thing with my Mac. I can select a different network based on SSID, but the campus network routers all broadcast the same name. I figure my machine is just picking the router with the strongest signal rather than hopping routers to find the fastest transfer speeds.

Is there anything I can do to manually select specific router from a pool of them when they share the same name?

Do you have the Airport Extreme or non-Extreme card? Extreme is G speed, non Extreme is B speed which is MUCH slower.

Download iStumbler or AirRadar:

http://www.istumbler.net/
http://www.koingosw.com/products/airradar.php

Each of those programs will allow you to view graphs and signal strengths of the wireless access points around you, and will also allow you to join networks. AirRadar is a little more recent, and it seems that development on iStumbler is a little stagnant... but I can vouch that at the minimum, iStumbler graphs and shows strength on my MacBook running 10.5.5. Joining networks with iStumbler has always been a little problematic with my system, although you may have better results.

AirRadar includes a preference that will allow you to automatically join the best network, so as you move around the university, AirRadar may help in keeping you connected to the strongest signal. You may need to play around with the "Use Apple AirPort API for scanning and joining" preference in order to get that working for you.

Yes, Macs can be selective with their networks as well, plus those are impressive little programs to show off to your PC buds... ;)

Last edited:
Back