trouble downloading images

naturalart

Registered
Hello, my first post here. I run a old 2010 Power Mac, 2.8GHz Quad, El Capitan. When I try to download images from my camera disk via usb drive to Photoshop CS6 I get the prompt "import error ( - 9934)"? Is this fixable or is there a work around?

The error -9934 seems to be fairly common, and is usually a permissions issue. The folder for the location where you want to save your images may not have proper permissions to allow you to save (write) to that folder.
Good steps for a likely fix here: https://www.tenorshare.com/mac-os/image-capture-error.html#p4
Thank you for the info DeltaMac. When I go to preferences and go into my "Sharing" preference folder, the closest option I have to what is depicted on the tenoshare link is File Sharing (nothing about "Permissions"). And there I do show that I have both read and write next to my name.

Also if I go to my hard drive and right click on Adobe Photoshop CS6 folder nothing happens. Is it bc Adobe Photoshop is a program? What am I doing wrong, what am I not understanding?

Oh, sorry, the article that I posted wasn't too clear about how to actually check permissions.
Click on the folder that you want to use. Press Command-i, which will bring up the Info window for that folder. You can also go to the File menu, and click on "Get Info" - which will give you the same result. You will see the "Sharing & Permissions" section near the bottom of that window. Unlock the settings by clicking the padlock on the bottom right corner of that window.
You'll see your user name, with (Me) (because, well, it is you!). Click the up/down arrows in the Privilege column, same line as (Me). Make sure that Read & Write are selected, (Don't touch the Privilege setting for any other lines, just your user) then you can close that window, and continue with what you were doing. That should work this time.

You do want to download/import those images to a folder first, then have Photoshop open them.

Oh, sorry, the article that I posted wasn't too clear about how to actually check permissions.
Click on the folder that you want to use. Press Command-i, which will bring up the Info window for that folder. You can also go to the File menu, and click on "Get Info" - which will give you the same result. You will see the "Sharing & Permissions" section near the bottom of that window. Unlock the settings by clicking the padlock on the bottom right corner of that window.
You'll see your user name, with (Me) (because, well, it is you!). Click the up/down arrows in the Privilege column, same line as (Me). Make sure that Read & Write are selected, (Don't touch the Privilege setting for any other lines, just your user) then you can close that window, and continue with what you were doing. That should work this time.
Ok, so I went to my hard drive, clicked on my Photoshop CS6 folder and command-I, I drop down to "Sharing & Permissions" and in the "Name" column where is should say "me" it says "system"? could this be the problem? And it does have "Read & Write" showing in Privilege column.

The app/program will have permissions set as Read Only for you the user. That is how it is installed by the installer. When you create a folder for your images (or whatever you are saving), you have automatic permissions to write (as well as read).
Your images are saved in the 'raw form' (before editing them). Once you edit, you can save the edited image (save as) in the Photoshop library. I personally preferred this so I have the raw images for a future project.

Is this the first time you are transferring images from this camera to this particular computer?

The app/program will have permissions set as Read Only for you the user. That is how it is installed by the installer. When you create a folder for your images (or whatever you are saving), you have automatic permissions to write (as well as read).
Your images are saved in the 'raw form' (before editing them). Once you edit, you can save the edited image (save as) in the Photoshop library. I personally preferred this so I have the raw images for a future project.

Is this the first time you are transferring images from this camera to this particular computer?
Thank you, no I've been shooting with my Nikon 5100 and downloading to this computer since 2011 when I bought it. Just hitting import and using image capture to download in photoshop in NEF RAW and saving originals to my hard drive in Photoshop RAW.

My work-around right now is: in Photoshop CS6 ( I think one of the last programs an individual could purchase) I go to Open, then open the images from the USB drive into Photoshop as NEF RAW. Sounds like what you're saying: saving them into a folder separate from the program and drive is a better deal.

Are you still getting the same error message (with the same -9934 error code)?
Or, is the error code different now?
Did you find out which folder Image Capture is using as a download/capture folder?
Have you tried changing the (me) user permissions for that folder?
Even if the permissions appear correct for that user (and that folder), you could try changing the (me) permissions to something else, restarting your Mac, then changing the folder permissions back to "Read & Write".
You could restart your Mac again - then try the image capture import. Works? or not? Same error code?

Back