Turn off that really annoying beep!

i think you have a good point TU. it is not the most informative hack. but i like this message board because sometimes i come in here and people are really discussing how to get your hands dirty with OSX. i ve been coming here for... 6 months or so, and i feel like i ve become an expert in OSX. now i actually saw this issue on resexclellence months ago, and wasn t too interested, and i haven t done it on my machine, but i really do appreciate that this information is here. you re right that it s not the most educational hack. but it is not totally without value either.

i think the quality and quantity of real information about UNIX security and daemon setup, netinfo tinkering, and such, has declined a lot since they changed the formats of the boards to "consolidate to fewer forums", while bringing in apple ][ forums and windows forums, and losing UNIX forums which at least is a concept that runs on our OS and hardware.

so i became especially disheartened when i saw one of the moderators espousing this view of keeping ignorant about the internals of the OS. i disagree very strongly with that kind of philosophy, and frankly, the reason i come here is to learn how to tinker with system files. if that sort of thing is frowned upon, then what is the point of me being here?

to be perfectly honest, while i have been growing a little annoyed with these boards, i have also been becoming more addicted. in the beginning, i only came when i ran up against a problem. now i check in almost daily, problem or not.

i dunno. perhaps i am being a little melodramatic.

on another note, TU, do you know of the washington apple pie group (since you seem to be in DC)? i worked as a computer monkey for a while in DC, and only left in jan. the place i worked was primarily macs, and i had occasional run-ins with those people.

you seem more like a unix sysadmin turned mac user, than an old school system 7 user, but maybe i m way off base.

...System 7 (6, even!) user; I've been on Macs since '84 and Apple ][s before that. I agree with testuser--some hacks may be empirical to some people, but a basic techincal explaination should be available for every hack.

Does anyone know which numerical string controls the beep in 10.1.5? I successfully hacked it out but it's back; the two values on the instructions page (linked to in the first post of this thread) do not exist in the BezelServices document under 10.1.5.

Back