Turn OFF wireless?

tomsmith322

Registered
OK, this is backwards---not how to connect to an unprotected WiFi AP, but how does one make a (school provided) iBook NOT be able to connect to the internet via open wireless nets.

My PC friend has a policy for his kids that they only get online in the living room where there is a cable to the DSL (please no comments on raising kids) but one of them just got a new iBook with built-in airport wireless, and there are local unencryped WIFI AP's near his place (and at friends' houses) and he was wondering if he could just disable the airport (with a password?) so that no temptations are easily availiable.....

Can this be done?

Alan Cranston

The Airport card in the iBook is very easy to remove. Just pop up the keyboard, loosen the simple wire clamp, and slide the card out. Disconnect the tiny antenna connecter. Latch the keyboard back in place. Now, no Airport at all.

I will suggest this, but because the 'puter actually belongs to the school, hmmm......

Anyway, thanks for the info (I assume this is true for a new 12" G4 powerbook?)

B. Boxer

tomsmith322 - the AirPort cards are designed to be easy to install. Therefore, they're almost always easy to get to (and remove).

12" PowerBook:
http://www.pbfixit.com/Guide/53.4.0.html

The alternative is to go into the Network System Preference Pane, go to "Network Port Configurations" in the Show: drop-down box. Remove the AirPort option.

Then, in Accounts, set up the child's account as a Limited account, and give him Some Limitations, and disable the System Preferences (so he can't turn it back on)

Back