Two Mac connections

suntannedboy

Registered
Hi, I have two mac connected. I can share files easily by adjusting the Share under the preference but what if I have a folder that is under the directory of Document or Home? I cannot see them under my network even when I added it under the Share preference?

I believe it has something to do with the administration setup but how?

Thanks in Advance.

.... I can share files easily by adjusting the Share under the preference but what if I have a folder that is under the directory of Document or Home? ...
If you log into your account on a remote Mac, then you have complete access to your account on that computer. If you rely on Sharing, then you have access only to those things in the Shared folder. To share everything, you need the freeware Sharepoints utility.

If you log into your account on a remote Mac, then you have complete access to your account on that computer. If you rely on Sharing, then you have access only to those things in the Shared folder. To share everything, you need the freeware Sharepoints utility.

True under Tiger, but SharePoints is no longer needed under Leopard for simple volume/device/folder sharing... the "Sharing" pane of the System Preferences does most everything SharePoints did, and you can indeed share any volume or device in Leopard without the need for SharePoints.

When you connect from one Mac to another, what credentials are you using to log on?

I think I understand the 'credentials' part and would like to contribute that when I access a Mac on my Network, I have the choice to log in as a 'Registered User' or 'Guest' .... what I see depends on which I choose with 'Registered User' offering the most access and Guest only gives me access to putting files in the users Drop Box.

With the 'Registered' User login, I need to know the User Name/Password then I can have access to the User Directory of that account but with the 'Guest' I don't need a password and can only *see* the Drop Box folder.

FWIW, I'm going from Tiger on my iMac to Panther on 2 iBook G3s.

The two Macs are running Leopard and I have credentials as administrators to both computers in my house.

But is it really possible to access, say, Mac01 to Mac02 by simply typing Mac02's password in Mac01??

Since I want to share some documents under Users directory in Mac01 with Mac02, currently, I have to move the folders of Mac01 out of User directory and place it under root HD directory; only in this way can Mac02 see the sharing folder.

But is it really possible to access, say, Mac01 to Mac02 by simply typing Mac02's password in Mac01??

Yes... just keep in mind that Mac01 knows nothing about the user accounts on Mac02, and vice-versa.

If you want to use Mac01 to connect to Mac02, you'd use the "connect to server" option and connect to Mac02. When prompted for a username and password, you would type in a username and password of an account that is present on Mac02.

Back