two monitors AND an LCD TV?

Elliotjnewman

Registered
Is there a way of adding another dvi port to my G5? I currently have two 21" CRT, but I am now looking to purchase a 32" LCD TV, which, of course I want to plug into my G5 too, but I dont want to have to unplug one of my 21" CRT to plug the LCD in... can I get a splitter?

Oh and I guess the other thing is:

can I even run three monitors from my G5? its got a Nvidia 5200...

Thanks.

Get another video (PCI) card. You can run as many monitors as cards you can install for support.

cheers for that bobw, so I could get, for example, another Nvidia 5200? I didnt realise that the G5 had more than 1 video port...

Also any idea on an extra DVI port?

When you add a video card, you have those ports to connect a monitor to.
If your machine (stock) can have two monitors connected, and say you have 3 PCI slots, you could put a video card in each slot with dual monitor support, then be able to connect 8 monitors.

And no, you cannot get another NVidia 5200 -- for one, they're not sold aftermarket for Macintosh computers, and two, it's an AGP card -- you only have one AGP slot, currently occupied by your original video card. If you decide to add another video card, it must be a PCI video card (like the ATi Radeon 9200 Mac Edition).

google for something like "Mac PCI graphics cards DVI buy"

you might be able to get a cheap old ATI 128 Rage pci card off ebay, but whether or not it'll be mac or DVI compatible is not assured.

the ATI Radeon 9200 PCI Mac edition looks good though, offering DVI, S-Video and VGA for about $100-$130

So I will have both a Nvidia 5200 and an ATI 9200 in my mac? That sounds a little scary. willl that mess up my system? I guess OSX will use just one of these cards for graphics and the LCD will soley use one on its own... and I presume this radeon comes with DVI ports? these are then accessable from the back of the machine once installed?

Yes, the Radeon 9200 comes with one DVI port.

The monitor(s) connected to the 9200 will use the 9200 for graphics, and the monitor(s) connected to the NVidia 5200 will use the NVidia 5200 for graphics. I don't understand what you mean by "I guess OSX will use just one of these cards for graphics and the LCD will soley use one on its own..."

well say if I run quake on one monitor and then drag it onto the LCD, will it go from using the 5200 to the 9200? I dont get it. maybe I am thick? but I thought graphics cards speed-up things like games, so how would that work when I drag the quake window across the different monitors?

Im being thick I know but I cant figure it out.

that's what i thought. but wouldn't quake have to be told it's switching cards? i mean for taking advantage of varying shaders etc?

Back