Uh?

Rhisiart

Registered
My system has been pretty slow for a few weeks now (lots of spinning wheel etc.). I thought what the hell; let's do a clean install. I should explain that I had 29 GB free space left on my hard drive at this point.

Every personal item from my Home Folder was backed up to an external hard disc and I completely reinstalled Snow Leopard and updated it back to 10.6.3.

After reinstalling all the items from my external hard drive, I find I now have 40 GB of space left.

Goodness knows what all that 11GB was for. I am not posting this as a problem (because clearly it no longer is) but does anyone else find this from time to time?

I think that happens to all Macs to some extent. The first example that comes to my mind is when you delete an application, you never really "delete" it, because all its data is still stored in various folders across your libraries. So after a few years, you're already piling up masses of folders and files which are completely unnecessary since you deleted the associated applications ages ago.

I bought a new iMac in January and for the first few weeks, I was really amazed at how fast it started up. Now, about 3 months later, it has already gotten much slower. Also, the overall performance has declined, which is especially noticeable in Freehand and for some reason Safari. So right now I have similar problems, but my Mac still isn't as slow as you described yours to be.

On another note, do you know the application "WhatSize"? I often use it to look for large files to help clear my hard drive a bit.

Well I purchased DaisyDisk, but I couldn't really see what was taking up so much space (maybe I wasn't using it right).

You're right about speeding up the mac though!

Back