UK iTunes Music store IS NOW LIVE

To be brutatly honest I'm a little disappointed with UK iTunesMS....

It took me an hour to buy my first song...

Because it was slow?...... Nope...

Because there was tons to look at?...... Nope...

Because nearly every band I like is in the Alternative Genre and they all have no songs available even though they are listed....

To name a few....

Alkaline Trio
Audioslave
Bad Religion
Face To Face
Feeder
Foo Fighters
H.I.M.
The Offspring
The Red Hot Chilli Peppers

Is just that they haven't been uploaded yet, or are the record companies dragging their heels more?

I hope it's the first...

But anyway my first song was Ch-Check It Out by the Beastie Boys..

- End Of Rant -

I think there's a bunch of stuff to be uploaded. I was browsing through alternative and found a bunch of bands that are on Indie labels in the UK and the US that are listed but don't show up any albums yet. For example Aereogramme and Arab Strap from Chemikal Underground (Glasgow) and Deerhoof and The Decemberists from Kill Rock Stars (Olympia). I was a bit disappointed too at first but if I'm right then it should get better soon.

Ah there we go, Sleater Kinney, Mclusky, Pearl Jam, Chilis, Trash Can Sinatras, Soundgarden, Chicks On Speed, Tullycraft, Cadallaca (yuss!), Roni Size, Roots Manuva, all listed but not displaying any albums yet. I think they've just struck a deal and haven't got them uploaded, or Apple are just assuming they'll get a deal!

I'm hoping the Dance music section improves too. It's all a bit limited at the moment.

But like everyone says, with a little time.....

already the lists of 'people who bought this also bought'

i think it'll be a couple of weeks and the lists will be nice and full and the store will be running at full pelt.

everyone i know has been buying tracks all day - i've already been sent a gift voucher by a friend!

good karma indeed!

Does anyone know how regularly the back-catalogue will be updated? What was the situation with the American store? I haven't found a great deal I'd like to purchase just yet, there's no Orbital, no Divine Comedy & no Jacquline Du Pre... I guess these things will come later - hopefully. Also, what's the deal with there only being a couple of tracks from an album? Will the rest follow? Just realised there's a few Orbital tracks on the US store so I have my fingers crossed for an appearance here on the UKiTMS. Still, glad it's here. It's been on the news all day.

Hmmn, limited selection but i was committed to buying something on the first day.
Particularly frustrating being the browse section, where far too many artists are listed for which there are no tracks. This particularly affects me since my tastes run more to independent labels than large ones. In Particular, i'd love to see dance labels release the tracks they previously only put out on vinyl, since it would stop me being so jealous of my DJ friends.

Miraculously, i found a Nuspirit Helsinki album on my second look round, hardly mainstream but i'm not complaining. As others said, the choice should grow over the next few weeks, but i hope the pay as much attention to signing up dance/electronic labels as they do rock labels.

Well, I've bought a couple of albums (Modest Mouse, The Cure and R.E.M.) and now I have an iTMS newbie question:

Is there any way to make a sort of 'Wish List', or 'To Buy' list? When browsing from work and I come across things I'd like to buy when I get home, or consider for a later purchase, I'd like an easy way to record this - does one exist?

lnoelstorr said:
Well, I've bought a couple of albums (Modest Mouse, The Cure and R.E.M.) and now I have an iTMS newbie question:

Is there any way to make a sort of 'Wish List', or 'To Buy' list? When browsing from work and I come across things I'd like to buy when I get home, or consider for a later purchase, I'd like an easy way to record this - does one exist?

I use the iTunes Preferences->Store->Buy Using Shopping Cart. This is the closest thing I can think of. It has the added bonus of making me think before I buy.

That's just the sort of thing I was looking for (the thinking before I buy will be a great help too).

Another iTMS newbie question:

Does the store keep track of your purchases so that if you accidently delete a file you can download it again for free?

lnoelstorr said:
That's just the sort of thing I was looking for (the thinking before I buy will be a great help too).

Another iTMS newbie question:

Does the store keep track of your purchases so that if you accidently delete a file you can download it again for free?

Nope, I wish it was so. That is the drawback of the iTunes music store.

lnoelstorr said:

theres a realy easy way to do this! -
just make a new playlist called wishlist or wat ever you want... and then go to the iTMS and drag the song you want to buy (eventualy) into the play list, you get the 30 second preview of the song and theres a buy now icon beside it to make it realy easy! then you can just go in and buy some of the songs you want.

I didn't even know that... cool. In terms of the record of songs you buy, although you can not re-download them, if your download becomes interrupted, they will continue downloading once your internet is back up.

Those 30 second previews sure beat Amazon! I'd given up trying to sample new music so haven't bought anything in ages, now I can really check something out before I buy it. I know its obvious but this is such a bonus for me. I'm restraining myself til the end of the month by not signing up for an account.

MacMuppet said:
Those 30 second previews sure beat Amazon! I'd given up trying to sample new music so haven't bought anything in ages, now I can really check something out before I buy it. I know its obvious but this is such a bonus for me. I'm restraining myself til the end of the month by not signing up for an account.

edit;

no Idaho
:(
lots of snow patrol :cool:

jobsen_ski said:
theres a realy easy way to do this! -
just make a new playlist called wishlist or wat ever you want... and then go to the iTMS and drag the song you want to buy (eventualy) into the play list, you get the 30 second preview of the song and theres a buy now icon beside it to make it realy easy! then you can just go in and buy some of the songs you want.

That sounds a pretty good solution, the only problem is though I want a list that I can access from different computers. Then I can add them to the list whilst at work (on my work PC) and then buy them when I get home (on my Mac).

Back