Umax J700: USB and SCSI ?'s

Vard

Looking for progress
Hey everyone...

So a buddy of mine gave me an old Umax J700 with a 604e 233mhz processor in it. It used to used as a file server, which I guess it would be fine for.

I am thinking about using it for a low-end audio recording station. Anyone ever use a system like this for something similar to what I want to do? I can get more SCSI drives from work--they have a bunch they were going to toss, but I think they might just work for me. Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse are all ready to go. My next hurdle is getting an OS 9.1 install CD off Ebay. Then, if I can get a USB PCI card, I should be able to attach a DigiDesign mBox to it for recording.

Anyone try anything like that? Can a J700 support a USB PCI card? Most cards say G3 or better, but I have seen a couple that might work.

Any thoughts on this...is it going to be worth it, or just a big headache?

Just wondering, thanks...

Eddie

Look at the MacTracker software (download from versiontracker if you haven't seen it) has a short info set for needed memory and other details about Umax systems. This uMax can hold up to 1 GB RAM. Looks like OS 8.1 is the last OS really supported on this. You must have 8.5.1 for any hope of support with USB. You could try 9.1 The vid card, which should be a iX Micro Twin Turbo may be a problem with OS 9 (or not, unknown). There should be a PCI USB card that will work, OS 9 should support that without installing the USB card support software that Apple has, but I recently read that installing that card support, even with OS 9 can help better support some USB cards, You can also look at the internet site for some of these cards, and find OS 9 drivers, even though printed info with the card may not mention Mac support.

Thanks for the feedback....I will check outversion tracker.

I have done some reading and everymac.com has some good info on the J700. I am pretty sure 9.1 will install on it. Right now, it has 9.1, but it is so badly messed up that I need to start in 'safe mode' for it to stay running./ I am hoping that a fresh install will fix this. If it doesn't, then I think I am screwed since everything I have read says that the mBox and Protools need 9.1 or better.

We'll see....if it doesn't work, I'll just use my main system and use the J700 as file server filled with HD's stuffed in a closet somewhere. I don't want to do this, but it might be the only option.

Later,
Eddie

Back