unable to boot on osx tiger from panther upgrade

kasemodz

Registered
Ok I orignally had Panther installed. My teacher had a tiger edition image on his hard drive. So he connected the firewire cable from his ibook to mine and started to unpack the image onto my ibook. After it was done, I tried booting it and it was stuck at grey screen with the moving circle on the bottom. I ran disk utility from my panther. After it verifed my disk it said
Invalid number of allocation blocks. The volume needs to be repaired.
The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972).
So is it poss to fix this problem without reinstalling tiger?
The startu screen seems to identify that there is an osx 10.4 installed.

'... he connected the firewire cable from his ibook to mine and started to unpack the image onto my ibook.' - foolish action, by Twiddle Dee and ...

'... I tried booting it and it was stuck at grey screen with the moving circle on the bottom.' - what could you have possibly expected otherwise? [rhetorical]

'... So is it poss(ible) to fix this problem without reinstalling tiger (from a 'Tiger' Installation DVD or CD set)?' - eh, no!

'The startu(p) screen seems to identify that there is an osx 10.4 installed.' - sure it does.

You cannot install OS X by simply unpacking the contents of a disk image onto a hard drive. It's not proper procedure and is illegal unless you own a license for Tiger (it either came with your computer or you purchased a retail copy).

Your only option is to reinstall, unless you're a UNIX uber-guru and know where each of the tens of thousands of files go and have special folder-blessing abilities.

You must physically boot from a valid Tiger install CD/DVD to install Tiger. Simply copying the files won't work, as you unfortunately found out.

Back