unable to empty trash

wnowak1

Registered
I have a bit of a problem when its time to take the trash out. When I select empty trash, nothing happens. I do not get any warnings, i.e file in use, permission error, etc. Simply nothing happens. No file is deleted.

I am running a clean install of Tiger 10.4.3. The user account under which I work has admin rights. The permissions on the .Trash directory are:

drwx------ 10 me me 340 Nov 11 02:25 .Trash

I also checked to see if any files in the trash bin are locked, and they aren't.

The only way I can empty this can is if I manually delete the files through the command line.

Any ideas? I'm stumped.

Open Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions". You also have to be sure that you are not throwing away an OS X system essential file! OS X will refuse to delete those files, to protect you. Lastly, try to use the Finder's "Secure Empty Trash", this may help will stubborn non-esstential files.

Satcomer said:
Open Applications->Utilities->Disk Utility and "Repair Permissions". You also have to be sure that you are not throwing away an OS X system essential file! OS X will refuse to delete those files, to protect you. Lastly, try to use the Finder's "Secure Empty Trash", this may help will stubborn non-esstential files.

I tried running the repair permissions utility, but no luck. I'll manually remove the .Trash(es) directory and see if that fixes the problem. The secure empty trash takes a really long time to empty.

I'll post my results ...

Back