Unable to Install BootCamp

dr34dl0rd

Registered
Hi, im a newbie mac user. Just got my mac a few days back

Its a macbook pro running on core 2 duo.

So i wanted to install a windows.............

As i ran boot camp, the error msg

" Your startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition "

My initial thoughts were that I had multiple partitions. ( My mac was bought from my school )

But a check revealed no hidden partitions. ( Disk Utility only showed 1 HDD Icon )

So I tried repairing, verifying the disk and all was good. However, I still couldnt install... anyone can help? !!

My current HDD is formatted to Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) and there is only 1 partition... so i cant figure out whats wrong... help anyone?

PS: I just realised it was formatted Apple Partition Scheme.. Does this have any influence?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

Boot Camp cannot partition the drive if there is not enough free space available.

It has been reported if you have external devices connected it may cause this problem. Do you have anything connected while you are trying the procedure? Also follow the instructions on this blog.

ok maybe i wasnt really clear. But When i said couldnt install. The error message just flashed, and NOTHING else worked. Meaning after i installed boot camp assistant. I ONLY got to that error msg. Nothing ELSE. Meaning no hard disk error, file-in-use errors or anything else. Just

" Your startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition "

Thats ALL

OK -
Open your Disk Utility
Click on the line that shows the name of your partition (not the line with the manufacturer's info).
Tell us what is listed next to Format, Capacity, and Used, from the listing at the bottom of that window

Ok im not very sure which one your talking about so ima list all :

Mount Point : / Capacity : 111.7 GB
Format: Mac OS Extended ( Journaled ) Avaliable : 85.1 GB
Owners Enabled : Yes Used: 26.6 GB
Number of Folders: 59,470 Number of Files 255,601

geez... the answers here are -.-

Dude : I have of course made sure things like latest firmware/software are up to date. And of course I have administrator privilleges. I mean I already tried for like 4 days....... so something like not having administrative account wont strike me -.-?

If you can't successfully partition your hard drive for Boot Camp, then you have one (or more) of these choices:
1. You have repartitioned the drive with software other than Disk Utility.
2. You have more than one partition already.
3. You have partitioned with something other than Mac OS Extended (journaled)
4. You have other problems with the partition, or the disk directory.

You have already verified 2 and 3, and 1 is probably OK, too.
That would leave 4 to check out.
You could do some of the following.
1. Try opening Disk Utility, and select your partition, choose the Erase tab, and click on the Erase Free Space.... button. Doesn't affect your apps and data, and takes a while. This can clear 'weird left-overs' from the free space, and may then allow the re-partitioning. I have heard of success after using a utility that will allow your files/directories to be defragmented. This is not often needed with OS X, but in this case, would be a good choice. Here's a link to some info about iDefrag. http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25411
2. Check your hard drive with a drive repair app more capable than Disk Utility, such as Disk Warrior.
3. Reinstall OSX from your recovery DVDs, using the archive & install option. Again, mostly safe to your added apps and data.
4. If you still can't get there with Boot Camp, you can:
(4a) Give up on Boot Camp, or
(4b) Restore your software, using the restore DVDs, and choosing to erase and install. You lose whatever is not backed up and not part of the system restore.
Then, Boot Camp should work.
Maybe others will also add their opinions here.

geez. omg i've tried ipartition-ing my partition type to GUID... It still dosent work.. Does anyone know if the empty space of about 120 MB on my disk has any effect? It isnt a partition.

Reports have come across the that bootcamp will not install if you have extra stuff (beside the keyboard & mouse (that is not plugged into the keyboard)) installed on you extra ports of the machine. Try that to see if it works.

Back