Unable to recognize external startup disk

fuzz

Registered
For some reason, I should not attempt to do things like this before I should go to bed. I need your advice on how to get my Powerbook to recognize my firewire external hard drive. I have run Disk Utility off of the Panther Install and also tried the Tiger Install disk. I set my startup disk to be my external hard drive, which I just just Super Duper! to clone my start up disk to my external. When I restart, it won't recognize my external hard drive. I can't copy things back. What do I do?

When boot the mac, try holding down the alt key with the firewire drive plugged in, it should show all bootable drives.

trooper

I tried that but it won't recognize it.

Sorry this is in the wrong category. I had a related question about installing Tiger but this was the first problem.

I decided to go ahead and install Tiger on the computer, and then the installation process recognized my panther/user data backup on the external hard drive. I let it continue until this morning and I got to the window where it said Norton Utilities wasn't able to transferred over. And I got the spinning beach ball. After a while, forced shut down and restarted. When I restart, it gets me to the blue window after the start up box. It blinks in one shade of blue to another with the cursor appearing and disappearing. I reinstalled Tiger but it still gives me the problem.

If I can't figure this out, I need to at least move my panter/user data backup back on to the powerbook.

You need to make sure the external hard drive connected to yourapple mac laptop is formatted as apple extended (journaled) for OS X- I assume you reformatted the drive and then copied accross? Check the firewire bridge is recognized (go to the utils folder to check hardware profile)

STOP RIGHT NOW!!!! Norton Utilities was discontinued early 2004 for a reason. It will mesh up any OS X machine and should be outlawed. So Get it away from your Mac as soon as possible.

Back