Unable to save documents and other sudden quirks

hisskiss

Registered
Hi,

I have a G4 Quicksilver running 10.4.1. A couple of weeks ago the following suddenly happened:

- unable to save text edit documents as 'save as' - click it, nothing happens
- browse buttons on some websites (e.g. yousendit) don't work when I need to attach a file to upload or send
- can't save attachments using 'save attachment', but I can drag files to the relevant folder
- similarly, if I try to attach a file an email nothing happens, but I can drag files to an email message and attach that way
- unable to open files from some programmes (e.g. textedit) unless they're in my recently opened docs list. However, I can go to the file and open it that way (programme loads up as normal)

That's all that I've discovered so far. Any ideas on what I can do?! My start up disk is pretty full, and I do have problems keeping down to a manageable size (it's at 650meg at the moment, but was lower for a long time), which I know is completely my fault. But nothing like this has ever happened.

All advise, greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Erik

It sounds to me like you do have a full disk problem.. I remember on classic mac OS you would run defragmentation; but I don't remember for the life of me if 10.4 still has original OS implemented. Have you tried making space on disk (burning some DVDs or dumping files onto external back up disk), running a permission repair, restarting, and seeing if problem is still there?

My 2 cents..

You are going to have to free up space, there's no way around it. Mac OSX needs 10-15% free space to run correctly. So for example on and 80GB drive that equals at least 8GB free space. Most likely whats happening is the drive is so full there may not even be any virtual memory space left on the drive to load anything else in memory, hence only being able to open recent documents and not any others.

Thanks very much for all your help! Am in the process of clearing some space, permanently. Forgive my ignorance, but how do I run a permission repair?

Erik

Back