Unable to use keyboard to boot

pensfan

Registered
There is a strange thing happening with my iMac. I have a Core Duo 2.0 GHz with 2GB of RAM. I'm now using the most recent Apple USB keyboard with the chicklet keys.

I no longer can boot off a DVD or CD using this keyboard. Let's say I insert the install disk or the restore disk and hold down C or D, whichever is appropriate. Instead of starting off the disk, it simply reboots.

I also can't zap PRAM because of this nor can I start off an external HD. I have tried a Logitech diNovo keyboard and some goofy iHome keyboard and the same thing occurs.

All my software is updated and I'm using 10.6.3

Any thoughts?

Do you have a firmware password?
You can find out by restarting while holding the Option key.
If you get a blank line - with a padlock, then you have your firmware password set. That prevents you from starting from other devices, and prevents the PRAM reset.

Do you get that little password window? And do you know what that password is?

No, no firmware password. I was 99.9 percent certain I had never set one. However, I restarted holding option as you suggested and the machine simply restarted and booked back up.

Unfortunately I don't have it. I even looked into buying one, but can't seem to find one.
I have the diNovo edge keyboard and the iHome keyboard I previously mentioned and none of those work either.
Very odd.

Are you plugging that keyboard directly into the iMac, and not a USB hub?
Also, make sure you are not using a USB extension cable, and simply plugged directly into the iMac.
For a test - disconnect everything else that might be connected through USB, so you only have your Apple keyboard, and a mouse (if that's USB too)

Reset the power manager, by unplugging everything from the back, including the power cord. Wait 15 seconds, then plug power, then your keyboard and mouse. Try the PRAM reset (Command-Option-P and R)
If you can get that reset to happen, try the Option key.

Wow, that didn't work, either.

I had everything removed from the computer. Removed the power from the back of the iMac. Waited about a minute. Plugged power supply back in and then the keyboard (I have a Magic Mouse) and tried to zap the PR. It simply just booted up and never got the second chime.

Essentially, it didn't react any differently than it has over the last I don't know how long.

Thanks for trying to help. If you have any other suggestions, I'd welcome them. I would run the AHT, but of course I can't. :(

You will need to find another Apple keyboard to try.

Or, try removing one RAM memory chip, so you still have one installed. Try the PRAM reset again. Verify that you are using the correct key combination - Option-Command-P and R
Can you boot into single-user mode? (hold Command-S on restart) You should get a screen of text. Try the fsck command that you see there. Type reboot when that fsck completes successfully.

Back