understanding LCD screen tech specs

maccatalan

Registered
Hello.

I am trying to compare two screen before buying. But I need to be explained one thing :

it a 600:1 better than a 400:1 contrast ? I am not sure about if it is the smaller, the bigger, the better. How to understand these figures ? What do they mean by 600:1 ?

Thank you,
Pierre

Yes, the bigger the ratio, the better the color, brightness and contrast will be. Beyond that, I don't have much of an explanation, so maybe someone else here who understands those numbers completely can explain -- but I do know that the higher the contrast numbers, the better the picture quality and brightness will be. The 600:1 is theoretically a better picture than the 400:1.

For sure 600:1 is better than 400:1. But this is only one value. Check other points:
How does the screen render large gray areas (any flicker ?, any colouring of the gray ?).
How sharp are sharp lines ? Sharp enough ? Over-sharped (mean a white artifact is created beside a white to black transisition) ?
Do you like to colours of the screen ?
How is the view angle (very important if you plan to view the screen with several people) ?
What about the screen luminosity ? (Important if you use it in a bright place).

Does it have the right connector (VGA if you only have VGA, DVI if you have a better video card).

On some screen sizes, there are several resolutions available, and resolution is a VERY important parameter for an LCD screen.

And last but not least.... what about the screen design ? Nice shape ?

If you're into gaming, a LCD with a good response time is important too. THe response time is the time it takes for the LCD to update itself. The lower the time, the better.

thank you for your answers. And of course I thought about comparing all the other available specs.

You answerred my first question if 600:1 was better than 400:1.
However, about contrasts I still don't understand what it means. Than ou.

Pierre.

Back