unidentified equiment on network

Zimbop

Registered
A piece of equipment appears on my network (in the router control panel) with a distinct MAC address and IP. I don't recognise it though? Does switches show up in the output - I've not seen this before on the readouts of my other routers. It doesn't have a hostname. How can I positively ID it so I know it definiately is the switch?

What kind of switch do you have? I doubt it has an address. You could try blocking it and see what happens. If nothing, keep it blocked. If something breaks, unblock.

Any item with a MAC address will have it printed on the device along with the serial number. Many modern switches, routers and modems have a MAC address. Also, don't rule out game consoles (eg: Wii), network attached printers, scanners and cameras as these are often overlooked.

Sorry, I confused IP addresses and MAC addresses, however, even switches may have an IP address. I guess it's time to learn more about switches.

If it's wireless, and you have an open network, it could perhaps be someone connecting to your wireless network from next door or something.

Back