Uninstalling

pawel

Registered
Am I correct in saying that you don't have to uninstall things on OSX like PC?

When you want to remove a program for example you just find it applications and remove it? or not?

Sorry is this is a dumb questions, like I stated before I am new to Mac's:confused:

Most OS X are packages of files and to see this just right click on an application and 'Show Package Contents'. All applications have a simple text preference file in the file /Your Hard Drive/Users/Your User Name/Library/Preferences. Also some applications put helps files in /Your Hard Drive/Users/Your User Name/Library/Application Support. Some application s also install other files around you Mac. If you don't want to remember all these places to delete unwanted files a third party developer made the application AppZapper.

Lastly most bigger application installers usually have a de/un-installer included the initial download package. Always check for these first.

'Am I correct in saying that you don't have to uninstall things on OSX like PC?' - correct. The MacOS is not the same as a PC with Windoze installed; thus, the installation / un-installation processes, or items placements, are not the same.

'When you want to remove a program for example you just find it applications and remove it? - yes ... and no.

'... or not?' - correct.

Some applications are single files and are typically placed, by an installer or the user, into the '/Applications/' folder.
Some applications and support files in a folder and are typically placed, by an installer or the user, into the '/Applications/' folder.

Regardless of the installation used (as described above) some application create a folder in the '~/Library/Application Support/' folder, and a '.plist' file into the '~/Library/Preferences/' folder.

To un-install an application - some (applications) come with an uninstaller application, and others (of the single application file or a folder of the applications and support files types) need only be dragged to the trash can. Naturally, if an 'Applicaiton Support' folder folder is created - then that too must be trashed. The '.plist' can, but does not have to be, trashed - as well.

'Sorry is this is a dumb questions, like I stated before I am new to Mac's' - it is not dumb. There is a 'search' feature in 'macosx.com'. Entering 'uninstall' will produce additional information.

i had my macbook pro for 7 weeks and surpised that apps dont really need to use a uninstaller to uninstall the program. it really amazed me and i just love it. mostly in window, they ended up restarting your computer to take effects. Yes that happen in mac but only a few of them.

For me, i use very cool app, AppZapper it a really great apps for me. all i have to do is to drag one of the app i want to remove it, put it in AppZapper window, then it will search for that apps library and it will show the list of item that will uninstall related to that app, then you click Zap, then it will move all those item to the trash. But there is a catch..... cough up $12.95, and you get a free update/upgrade for life. I know it didnt sound special but for me, it well worth it to have it. You can download a trail and check it out

Any question in the forum is not a dumb question, it normal for everyone to ask it. my friend told me about this quote he got from somewhere, "It better to ask a dumb question than to be a fool not to ask a dumb question"

Back