unix commands gone in 10.4?!

RadorBlator

Registered
Hi all, I have bought a new Powerbook and installed successfully 10.4 system two weeks ago and have experienced no troubles so far. Today, I needed some command line stuff using Terminal, but I could not find many of the commands I was used to in pre-10.4 versions. There is no CpMac, although I have installed Developer pack, there are also very few man pages for commands, which obviously are installed and working. In the past, I wrote just "man command", hit the return and I had enough reading for tens of minutes :). There is even no man page for man itself, if I wrote down "man man" and returned, also got no response. I am no UNIX geek and I started to use UNIX year and half ago, therefore using man pages is quite crucial for me;). Where are they gone??? Am I using wrong shell (bash)?! Is there a new command, when demanding the man pages? How can I find all UNIX commands installed on my computer??? They seem to be scattered in many different system folders.

thanks, Radek

Man pages and all the Unix commands are still present in Tiger. I haven't had a problem accessing them. Now if you do "man cp" does that work? if not, I think some of your paths may be screwed.

I am getting constantly "no manual pages for...". Shall I reinstall the whole system?! (I am anyway in peparation to do this because of disc partitioning to be able to install YD Linux in parallel).

If you opted out the "BSD subsystem" in a custom install, the command prompt obviously won't work well. I have no ideas beyond that :/

Just run the tiger disk installer again and select the BSD portion only. It shouldn't erase your OS X install.

Running just the BSD from CD did not help. Therefore, I did the whole "Archive and install" (after booting from the 10.4 Install disc 1 and 2 subsequently) and it works now, GREAT. I must send greets to people from Apple for considerable improvement of Archive and install function.
I had to carry out the same procedure about one year ago with 10.2 system on my previous iBook G4 and it crashed many already installed apps, like Dreamweaver, Toast and many many others (well actually all of them), not mentioning many lost preferences and settings. Now everything seems working (even products of the Microsoft company :)). And it took just about one hour.

Thanks guys and have a nice day, Rador

Back