Unix Executable File

mypig7

Registered
I have some Photoshop files on my Imac – g3 (Os 8.6) and when I transfer them to my Imac g4 - Panther OSx and try and open them they appear as Unix Executable files which won't open correctly.

Please help with a way of correcting this.
Thanks
Chris H

Try opening them with the "Open..." command from PhotoShop and then re-save them.

How exactly did you copy them over? Network? FireWire disk mode? Airport? Did you use the Finder to copy them, or did you do it with the terminal?

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Try opening them with the "Open..." command from PhotoShop and then re-save them.

How exactly did you copy them over? Network? FireWire disk mode? Airport? Did you use the Finder to copy them, or did you do it with the terminal?

I burned them to a disk on the old mac and then tried to open them from it on the new one. I also tried transferring on a memory stick. I will try what you suggested..thanks

I get the same thing with other files (generally Pagemaker and Freehand) that I have burnt to CD. I have had to resort to using 'XRay' to reset the application and file types to their original format. I had to also reset permissions (using XRay) to get some of them to work OK before doing the files type thing.

eric

Ah, well, when burning a CD, make SURE you're burning an HFS+ format disk. That'll retain the metadata that associates a file with its program.

I would highly suggest networking the two Macs, logging onto the newer Mac and copying the files over FROM the old iMac. That'll guarantee the files retain the needed data and appear to your OS X machine as a normal file.

eric halfabee said:
I get the same thing with other files (generally Pagemaker and Freehand) that I have burnt to CD. I have had to resort to using 'XRay' to reset the application and file types to their original format. I had to also reset permissions (using XRay) to get some of them to work OK before doing the files type thing.

eric
Eric, I'm newish to macs, can you tell me what x-ray is and how I get hold of it.

Cheers
Chris

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Ah, well, when burning a CD, make SURE you're burning an HFS+ format disk. That'll retain the metadata that associates a file with its program.

I would highly suggest networking the two Macs, logging onto the newer Mac and copying the files over FROM the old iMac. That'll guarantee the files retain the needed data and appear to your OS X machine as a normal file.
Thanks, I'm newish to macs and I'm not too sure how to network the two. Is there an easy way or can you suggest an alternative.

mypig7 said:
Thanks, I'm newish to macs and I'm not too sure how to network the two. Is there an easy way or can you suggest an alternative.
If both Macs have a firewire port:
  1. Shut down the first computer and leave the second computer on.
  2. Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. (If both computers have higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to 9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer data at higher speeds.)
  3. Start up the first computer while holding down the T key.
  4. A disk icon for the first computer appears on the desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and from the disk to transfer them.
  5. When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by dragging its icon to the Trash.
  6. Push the power button on the first computer to shut it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.

FYI this was copied directly from Mac Help (Command+?)

perfessor101 said:
If both Macs have a firewire port:
  1. Shut down the first computer and leave the second computer on.
  2. Connect the two computers using a 6-pin to 6-pin FireWire cable. (If both computers have higher-speed FireWire 800 ports in addition to the standard FireWire 400 ports, you can use a 9-pin to 9-pin cable with the FireWire 800 ports to transfer data at higher speeds.)
  3. Start up the first computer while holding down the T key.
  4. A disk icon for the first computer appears on the desktop on the second computer. Drag files to and from the disk to transfer them.
  5. When you finish, eject the first computer's disk by dragging its icon to the Trash.
  6. Push the power button on the first computer to shut it down and disconnect the FireWire cable.

FYI this was copied directly from Mac Help (Command+?)
Thanks for your help

Hi ElDiablo

Interesting about the HFS+, what about CDs that were burnt using OS 8 or older as some of ours are older than OS X (and HFS +) and we still get that bizzare Unix file showing when the CD is mounted on the desktop. Its also interesting to note that its fairly random as well.

Cheers

eric

OK update

Just done a few tests with toast and have come to the conclusion its the ISO 9660 format that OS X doesn't get on well with. We burnt the same information using the 'Mac Only' option in Toast both as standard and extended and the files showed up perfectly, we then did it as IS 9660 using the mac names and CD ROM XA format and the pagemaker files showed up as Unix Files. Odd but thats that, we will be using Mac only format from now on.

eric

TommyWillB said:
Didn't OS 8 use HFS (a.k.a HFS Standard) vs. HFS + (a.k.a. HFS Extended)?
Actually 8 was the first version of the Mac OS that could use HFS+. But it would work equally well with either HFS or HFS+.

I've got the same problem with 'executable unix files'. Inserted a extension at the end of the filename, and the program could open it! It worked also when I removed the extension again. Is it some file system problem?

I have many files show up as unix executables. I can get around this by adding an extension on most types, but not with fonts. I can't get Extensis Suitcase to recognize any fonts. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

mypig7 said:
I have some Photoshop files on my Imac – g3 (Os 8.6) and when I transfer them to my Imac g4 - Panther OSx and try and open them they appear as Unix Executable files which won't open correctly.

Thanks
Chris H
hello i am new to all of this

mypig7 said:

Thanks
Chris H

Can u pls let me know how it got sorted out if at all.
i have the same prob but with sound files
Thanks
Israel David

Back