Unmirrior HDDs without destroying them?

Mystic Gohan

Registered
Well I got a new G5 Power PC Duel Core 2.5 GHz for Christmas.

It has 2x250 Gig HDDs in it, but they are Mirrored via RAID. Is there any way that I can unmirror them without destroying the drives and opening up the entire 500 Gigs of space?

Mystic Gohan said:
Well I got a new G5 Power PC Duel Core 2.5 GHz for Christmas.

It has 2x250 Gig HDDs in it, but they are Mirrored via RAID. Is there any way that I can unmirror them without destroying the drives and opening up the entire 500 Gigs of space?

easy enough - Open your Disk Utility and select a disk in the set that you want to delete and click the RAID tab.
Select the RAID set, then click Delete.

This then stops the RAID, if you are using a MIRRORED set. Both drives would still have identical data at that time. Erase one of the drives, and you will have all that space back.
If you have a striped RAID, then you don't have this easy choice, and you lose the data completely. Everything must then be reinstalled.
If your G5 is the one in your signature, then you don't have one of the new Quad 2.5? That one won't take the older 6800 vid card.

Here I dont know what to do, it says the disks are locked. Here are some pics. I dont know what your talking about on the Video card though because I got a pic for you.

Also I tried the normal unlock method. But neither of them allow me to click on them. So I cant do it the conventinal way.

MyG5.png

DiskUtility.png

Mystic Gohan said:
Here I dont know what to do, it says the disks are locked. Here are some pics. I dont know what your talking about on the Video card though because I got a pic for you.

Also I tried the normal unlock method. But neither of them allow me to click on them. So I cant do it the conventinal way.

You can't delete the RAID set while you are booted to that set. Boot to another drive, and delete the set from there.

I commented about your sig, as you have listed a dual core 2.5 - the 6800 vid card can't work in a dual-core system, as dual-core Mac uses PCI-E cards completely - no AGP slot at all. So, your G5 is dual processor, but not dual-core (which is the present 2.5 Quad, which you don't have)

OK I will try the mounting from my laptop.

also you are correct I am wrong. I guess I just assumed it was a duel core. I didnt know that the duel core machines come in a few different flavors. And that the older models are in fact not duel core but just duel processor.

Back