Unsupported DVD-RW drive???

sega_102

Registered
Hey Guys,

I have a HP 200i DVD burner in a Bytecc enclosure, and I can't get it to work.

When I try to burn a DVD in Toast, it gives me errors. If I try to open a blank dvd or cd in finder, it tells me the drive in unsupported.

The drive has worked before, but when I reinstalled OSX a while ago, it stopped working. I installed the drivers that came with it, but I installed them after I plugged it in. I have restarted several times.

I updated Toast to the latest build. Its 6.0.7

It Reports

Sense Key: Hardware Error

Sense Key: Illegal Request, Invalid field in CDB

It doesn't seem like the dvd burner ever starts burning. Toast reconizes the burner so I don't know what the problem could be. I don't have another computer to try it on.
Does anyone know anything I can do?

I have a Powerbook G4 1 ghz. The Bytecc enclosure is USB 2.0

Thanks

Have you tried installing the drivers again, this time following the instructions that came with the drive?

yes, I have reinstalled the drivers several times. I have also restarted numerous times.

Could the DVD burner have gone bad?

ok, I think I figured it out.

I used another brand of dvd+r's and it wokred fine. The old DVD'rs used to work but apparenly they won't work now as I have tried several of them.

Do you think my burner is getting bad and sensitive, or the dvd's are going bad.

The Dvd's are Phillips and I have 30 of them. Should I just buy a new DVD burner? Mine is old anyway.

Thanks

I wonder if you have a USB 2.0 PC card, as your PowerBook would not use USB 2.0 on the internal ports. Burning with USB 1.1 can be really flaky at best, and surely very slow. The hardware error that you get may also indicate that the drive is just failed.

Your DVD writer supports only DVD+R and DVD+RW. The Mac OS does not support DVD+R well, and you would be much better off with a drive that supports DVD-R. Toast (at least newer versions) helps a lot if you must use DVD+R

Back