Update 10.6.3

Jackrushing

Registered
I installed update 10.6.3 about an hour ago. My computer seems to be about
twenty percent faster than before. Have any of you experienced this, or is it
just my imagination? I have a Mac Pro 2x2.66.

20% from an update? Wow! I'd suspect the restart after the update clearing the RAM more than likely is the reason for the perceived speed bump. If you seriously noticed a marked 20% performance increase, you probably need to restart more often.

20% from an update? Wow! I'd suspect the restart after the update clearing the RAM more than likely is the reason for the perceived speed bump. If you seriously noticed a marked 20% performance increase, you probably need to restart more often.

Well, Maybe I exaggerated a little bit, but there is definitely a pick up in the
speed. You might be right, it could have been the restart. Whichever it is,
I hope it stays there.
Thanks.

Any speed increase you notice is not due to any update included with OS X 10.6.3. It is simply a perceived speed increase.

The Mac OS X 10.6.3 update does not include any kind of update to any portion of OS X that would cause any kind of general speed increase, across the board, with your computer. None of the updates included in 10.6.3 has the intention of making things faster -- it is, for the most part, a bunch of security and stability updates.

It is possible, like djackmac said, that some process the 10.6.3 updater ran before/during/after the updating process caused some kind of anomaly with your system to be fixed, some storage that needed optimizing to be optimized, or some scheduled process that was supposed to be run to run.

10.6.3 was not intended to speed up anything with your computer -- any kind of general speedup you're experiencing is either perceived or some kind of side-effect.

Any speed increase you notice is not due to any update included with OS X 10.6.3. It is simply a perceived speed increase.

It is so faster!!11!
1e3ad5d2.gif

Not only that, but I recovered 47.3 GB of HD space, I am now attractive to women with more teeth than tattoos, and that itchy patch that weeps a sort of greenish fluid is much improved! :)

More seriously, Jack it is more likely as they described. I noticed one thing resolved--that did not involve weeping sores--the SIMBL agent used by addons that make Safari actually useful use to crash whenever you started M$ Office products--it would restart itself so this has only been a well-documented annoyance. This no longer happens.

Even more seriously, if you do not do it, consider regular maintenance with programs like Cocktail--useful shareware--or a free one that requires a bit more tinkering Onyx. You will find those can help, particularly with browsing :)

--J.D.

Back