UPDATE TO 10.1 prob

skintone

Registered
Hi there... I am trying unsuccesfully to update to 10.1 (gm) I DL'ed off Hotline server
Have i maybe wrecked the .img file when i mounted it and tried to instal off that mounted image? Cos now i can't seem to make it bootable in toast...
I am new to burning and new to tast, so if anyone has any ideas about why i can't seem to start up off the cd i burnt lemme know pls! (i've had it freeze and say Hanging here, kernel panic....
Any toast experts pls (if you have time) give me specific instructions on what to do with the mac osx .img file ? I mount it in toast right? then i select what?

PLS HELP ME!!!! :)

thanks

You don't mount it in toast. At least I don't think you should. Try mounting it in an application called "Disc Copy". I'm sorry I can't help much, I really don't understand your problem too well. I'm sorry.

Hey trip, thanks... But i can't mount it in Disc copy, so i must use toast (well otherwise i cant see how i can mount it and then make bootable) cos thats what i need to do with it isn't it? Make it bootable?
thanks for any help, i should be able to reply pretty quick.. thanks

I think i may have corrupted or ruined the .img file i DL'ed tho... i am not too sure..
PLS HELP! :)

Did you try re-downloading the .img? Maybe somebody uploaded a damaged img...I get that all the time with stuff like this. I'm sorry I couldn't have been of more help to you tonight, I'll get my friend (the mac master of the world) to come post here ASAP, but it may not be until tomorrow. Sorry about man...I really wish I could've helped more! Try re-downloading and then tell us how you're doing.

Night.

•Zzz

os x isnt bootable, not at least according to toast. you have to just burn it and then hold down C when you restart.
there are several posts on this, you really should search beforehand.

hey brodie, thanks alot for your feedback - and sorry dude, i am busy cant search, well have and was made more confused..,... So i just have to burn the .img to a cd, then restart holding c key?
that doesn't work for some odd reason...

i tried -
http://www.roxio.com/en/support/toast/toastbootable.html
as well to get more of the jist of it, but i am still confused on how to update...
I have the mac osx gm 636 mb or something... Could i have corrupted it?
Thx

You shouldn't have to mount it. Just burn it. Select the disk image in toast by clicking and holing on the other tab until you get a pop-up menu, select disk image, and click the select button. Then, after selecting the disk image, click burn. Several people I have corresponded with have reported problems with the resulting disk if they mounted the image before burning. Hope this helps!

thanks, this all helps alot.. i think i may have to re DL and then BURn it straight to cd yeah?
damn :-/
i think i may have ruined it when i mounted it and tried to install of that?
Cheers

Originally posted by macavenger
You shouldn't have to mount it. Just burn it. Select the disk image in toast by clicking and holing on the other tab until you get a pop-up menu, select disk image, and click the select button. Then, after selecting the disk image, click burn. Several people I have corresponded with have reported problems with the resulting disk if they mounted the image before burning. Hope this helps!
That is exactly the solution ! It hapened to me... and this is what I had to do ! ;)

By the way, this resulted in a perfectly bootable Mac OS X CD, without even having to hold the C key.

Originally posted by skintone
i think i may have to re DL and then BURn it straight to cd yeah?
By the way, I didn't even have to redownload it to get a working CD... I simply had to burn the CD without mounting on the desktop, using the same disk image. My feeling is that Toast Titanium's optimize-on-the-fly feature ruins the boot-ability of the resulting CD...

Good luck !

I think i may have to RE-DL the file... As i rekon i have corrupted it now? (do u/?) i have the image file still on my desktop, should i try to do the above again, or re download it first do u think?

ill try follow those instructions, thanks... any other hints or tips?

Should i re download the file? (i hope not!)

NEVER mount a bootable image!

Like i said to lots of people. it corrupts your image! i believe you now have to go and redownload it again.

ok... damn.. looks like i have learnt the hard way...
I'll re dl it tonight, then i burn that image straight to a cd yea?

Thanks ppls

yup!

btw my carracho server has it,, just dont wanna give out any more login and passwords this month or so

Hey Wolf, yeah i understand... I didn't wont to leech it from the same server i had just got it from (waste of his kind bandwidth), so i found a new Carracho server with it last night, got most of it 533 mb of 626.6mb , So i am hoping to finish it tonight if it's up (i am in Australia so different time zones!:) So Wolf or anyone else who is nice enuff to help me (not stuff it up) ... Should this work (after i finish the new DL) -
I just take the whole 626.6mb image file and burn that straight away with toast in os9, just drop it in there and burn it right?
Then i should be able to start up holding the C key yeah? And that should work?
Cheers again...
(i am hanging to get dvd's workin in x! and a speed increase) hehe:)

Ok, well i have got 10.1 working now, after re-dling it and burning straight to cd, i then started up off it and install went thru as planned.. cool cool
Now my new problem is that my ibook seems to freeze when i leave it for a while , screen goes black and wont wake up? resulting in me having to put pin in side to reboot and then date and time are wrong etc...
Any ideas? I changed Energy saver, still happened tho.,.,. !??

Originally posted by skintone
Now my new problem is that my ibook seems to freeze when i leave it for a while , screen goes black and wont wake up? resulting in me having to put pin in side to reboot and then date and time are wrong etc...
At one point, Apple had said that letting the iBook (dual USB) go to sleep while displaying screen saver other than the Basic one could result in a Freeze. I would have thought this problem would have been solved with 10.1 though...

Hey thanks for typing that, i'll try it with no screensaver for a while and see if it continues. I had it set to random Screensaver after 30 mins...I'll try it on Never, and i'll post results.
Cheers

My ibook has run fine all day, i am pretty impressed with osx.1 now :) all around speed is much better
Thanks for everyones posts.
=)

Back