Updated firmware - now G5 locking up!

Shotokan

Registered
Help!

I just updated my firmware to the latest version on software update and now my G5 is locking up randomly. I have a 1.6 Ghz G5. Is there any way to downgrade the firmware?

Works fine for me. I took the liberty of looking up that article for you, here it is:

G5 uniprocessor firmware update and 1.6 GHz G5s: audio stuttering; more

We've continue to note problems with Power Mac G5 1.6GHz models after installing the recent Uniprocessor Firmware Update.

The latest issues involve problems with audio playback.

J. Charles Holt reports "I'm not positive the two are related, but since installing the firmware upgrade on my G5, I'm having some audio problems. Twice now when playing Halo, after playing for a while the audio starts breaking up, like it's stuttering. It happens regularly, like every 1/3 second or so, and seems to be related to how much load is on the processor. Quitting Halo doesn't fix the problem, and once it starts I can only get rid of it with a reboot, as from then on it affects all audio on the machine (I just tried to view a Quicktime movie and was getting the same stuttering)."

Unchecked in Software Update Meanwhile, a number of G5 1.6 GHz owners are reporting that the uniprocessor update is not "checked" in Software Update -- a possible indication by Apple that the firmware update is only intended for 1.8 GHz G5s.

MacFixIt reader Andy writes "The G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update is still available via Software Update on my Mac. But there is a caveat. I'm on a 1.6 Ghz G5, running OS 10.3.5. When I run Software Update, the G5 Uniprocessor Firmware Update is not checked for installation on my computer. Just like Airport Software isn't checked (don't have a wireless connection) or iSight Software (never had a video camera connected). It's available, but isn't checked for my machine. That's why I didn't install the Firmware Update. It seems to me that that updater wasn't for 1.6 G5's. The Security Updates come up, are checked, and it says 'install 1 item' on the page. But when I take the Firmware Update off my 'ignored list,' it doesn't say 'install 1 item."

More reports of problematic RAM We previously noted that the G5 uniprocessor firmware update made some machines more picky about installed RAM -- that is, system instability issues appearing after the update can, in some cases, be resolved by removing certain modules.

MacFixIt reader Charles-Henri Malbert is the latest example:

"I get exactly the same problem after the update on one of my 1.6Ghz G5 i.e. Mouse and keyboard freeze plus kernel panic. The solution was simple. I ran the hardware diagnostic to find that one memory card was not working. I remove the two boards ending with the original 512MB module designed by apple and everything was back to normal again."

If you added any RAM after you purchased your system that didn't come from Apple directly, try removing it and see if that helps.

Apple is notorious for tightening their RAM-quality guidelines with firmware updates -- that's not to say for sure whether this is the cause this time, but IIRC, they never advertised the fact that some of their firmware upgrades changed the RAM guidelines, rendering some modules problematic.

That's a bit cheeky to release a firmware update that is more 'picky' about the RAM installed in a machine. If the RAM was working fine before, why should it suddenly stop working just because of a firmware update? This is definitely something that seems unscrupulous to me, if Apple actually does do this.

They actually did back in 2001: Firmware 4.1.7/4.1.8 upgrade for the original AGP G4 tower machines. RAM sites everywhere had to re-vamp and start advertising "Firmware 4.1.8-compatible" modules.

Read about it here:
http://www.lowendmac.com/musings/foot.html
http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/03/28.9.shtml
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macos/8148&vid=5842&mode=info

Here's a brief synopsis from the versiontracker link:
Apple response on RAM issue: "The Apple 4.1.7 and 4.1.8 firmware updates incorporate a number of fixes that dramatically improve system stability and performance. The update also includes a new check that validates whether the installed memory in the machine is compatible. This check was added to help alleviate random crashes and stability issues. The new memory test disables memory DIMMs that are found to be out of specification and DIMMs that cannot be determined to be compatible. As a result, some third party memory that was recognized by previous versions of firmware may no longer be recognized after the updates."

The thing is, Apple didn't originally advertise the "improved memory checking" techniques of the firmware upgrade... only until after widespread reports of RAM being disabled came about.

i just tried pulling all the RAM from the machine and reinserting, like suggested on Macfixit - so far so good - it have lasted about 5 mins so far - hopefully this is a fix - or I could be locked up by the time you all read this - thanks for the help everyone!

Do these firmware updates offer that much more functionality? I would almost just avoid doing them if they cause problems with memory.

UPDATE:

It seems as though if I don't have any peripherals plugged into the keyboard (USB) it is fine - really weird...

If you read all the items on MacFixit about the firmware upgrade you will see that it also affects Apple memory as well! It seems to be slot related with the first two slots being more stable. Apple is supposedly working on a 'fix'. Nothing wrong with firmware upgrades but they generally are not reversable so it pays not to be an 'early adopter'. :)

Shotokan said:
UPDATE:

It seems as though if I don't have any peripherals plugged into the keyboard (USB) it is fine - really weird...

The only peripheral that should be used with the USB ports on the keyboard is a USB mouse. The USB ports on the keyboard don't deliver the same power and speed that the USB ports on the computer offer, and only low-powered mice should be used with those ports.

I would highly recommend a USB hub if you need extra ports, and keep those peripherals off of the keyboard! :D

UPDATE:

So I took the advice of Macfixit.com and took out the original Apple 128 meg sticks - and that solved the issues...crazy. But now I am running on only 512mb. Come on Apple - give us a fix.

Don't forget to change your signature now! :p Only kidding...

I don't think it'll be long until a fix is available. Apple's really good about things like this. Just thank the good Lord that Microsoft isn't behind this!

Apple has released a new version of the Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor update (5.1.5f2) which presumably resolves a host of problems reported here on MacFixIt (see previous coverage), specifically an issue where some units more picky about RAM -- i.e. modules that previously functioned properly now cause operational problems including system freezes. The problems were more prevalent on Power Mac G5 1.6 GHz models.

Apple's instructions for the new update state "Remove any third part RAM before installing this Firmware Update. After the Firmware Updater has verified that it has been completed correctly, you can re-install your third party RAM.

After downloading the update, you will have to run it from its installed location at Applications/Utilities.

Full instructions are as follows:
1. Download Power Mac G5 Uniprocessor Firmware 5.1.5f2 update
2. Save changes to open files and then quit all other open applications, if necessary.
3. Open the firmware updater (in Applications/Utilities)
4. Click Shut Down in the Firmware Update window to start the update. Wait for your computer to shut down, quit any applications and save changes if necessary.
5. Press and hold in the Power button on the Power Mac G5 until you hear a long tone or see the Power button light flashing.
6. The firmware updater starts automatically. A status bar shows the progress of the update. You may see more than one status bar.
7. After the update is complete, your system restarts automatically. When a message says your computer's firmware has been successfully updated to version 5.1.5f2, the update process is finished.

The original Power Mac G5 Firmware Update (5.1.5f1) was released to fix a previously reported issue where single-processor G5s -- generally 1.8 GHz models -- refused to sleep.

The 1.7 MB Power Mac G5 Firmware Update 5.1.5f2 is available via a download link on Apple's Web site, or through Software Update.

Back