Updating a ColdFusion site?

Morgan19

Registered
(I read the "what to post here" and think this belongs... So hopefully it does. ;))

A client has approached me and asked if I'd would be willing to do some general maintenace on a ColdFusion site they have. I'm not personally familiar with .cfm at all– is that something that can be easily updated and maintained by a web designer via Dreamweaver? Or is more in the realm of a programmer needing to go into a database?

Thanks,
m19

Last edited:
ColdFusion is like php or ASP -- just a language. Whether their .cfm pages connect to a database or not is a completely separate issue, and one that you'll have to clarify through the client. ColdFusion does have the ability to connect to external databases to pull data, although it's not required -- just like php doesn't require a mySQL database to operate, although they do work wonders together.

ColdFusion is a bit dated, and I'm not aware of too much development activity going on with it still (although there could be!). First off, you'll probably need to get ColdFusion from Adobe, unless you already have it, or the client will be providing a workstation with ColdFusion on it:

http://www.adobe.com/products/coldfusion/

It's a relatively straightforward development environment -- if you're familiar with ASP or php programming for the web, then you'll probably feel at home with ColdFusion.

Back