Updating Apps from iTunes

PBear

Registered
I had some pending updates to some apps in iTunes, latest version, so I downloaded them and connected an iPhone 4s that has the latest software installed. Clicked on the iPhone in iTunes, then the Apps tab and then the "Update" buttons next to the apps that I just downloaded and clicked on the Apply button on the bottom. Afterwards, the button next to the apps change back to "Update" rather than installed. I tried changing the Restrictions in the iPhone but ended up with the same results as before. I also tried updating some apps with an iPod but had the same results as the iPhone. Am I doing something wrong? How do I update the iPhone, iPod apps with iTunes without having to download the updates from within the iPhone and iPod?

OK. You say that you connected an iPhone 4S. Is the iPhone 4S registered to the same iTunes account as the computer user?

When you connect your iPhone, click on the iPhone button at the right if you don't get the summary right away. In Summary, scroll down to the bottom and look for options. Check the box Automatically sync. Now while in your phone's panel, select Apps. Scroll to the bottom of the Apps listed and check the box Automatically install new apps.

Your updates should install now.

I have "Manually manage music and videos" selected in Summary > Options with "Automatically sync when this iPhone is connected" greyed out. When I deselect the "Manually manage" option the bar at the bottom fills up and shows an "over capacity by 10 gb" warning.
I couldn't find the "Automatically install new apps" on my iPhone. I did find one in iTunes > Apps tab though. Tried selecting it and syncing but the "Update" buttons are still next to the apps I downloaded.
Looking around in Finder I found a Downloads folder with .tmp files of the apps I downloaded in /Users/my account/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/Downloads. In the folders there is a Application? icon with a circle and a bar in it along with an info.plist file. Would these files have something to do with the apps not updating?

Quit iTunes, then trash those files. Now open iTunes and go to iTunes menu>Preferences>Devices.
Check that the Prevent iPod, iPhones, and iPads from syncing automatically is unchecked. Under Parental make sure you have nothing checked. Now give it a try.

No dice. :( The progress bar at the top of iTunes window starts to go through the steps, backing up etc., but right after "determining apps to sync" it stops and the Update buttons are still showing.

Are you out of free space on your iPhone?

Can you not update the apps on the iPhone without connecting to your Mac/iTunes?

There's a little over 5 GB available on the iPhone.
I could but, there's other iDevices that use the same apps too and I would like to keep the bandwidth usage to a minimum. Besides, one app is over 1 GB and it took about 3 hours just to download in to iTunes.

So, the apps install/update just fine on your other iDevices, and the iPhone is the only device that struggles with iTunes?

You should be OK with an iPhone 4S, but I have just started getting this sort of thing happen because the apps are no longer working with my older iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone is limiting the system software upgrade and the system software determines the apps i can have. So, is your system software right up to date?

So, the apps install/update just fine on your other iDevices, and the iPhone is the only device that struggles with iTunes?

Just tried updating the apps with another iPhone 4s and the apps updated just fine with it. The iPod didn't have any updates pending for any of the apps on it. So it seems to be the one iPhone that is not updating.

You should be OK with an iPhone 4S, but I have just started getting this sort of thing happen because the apps are no longer working with my older iPhone 3GS.

The iPhone is limiting the system software upgrade and the system software determines the apps i can have. So, is your system software right up to date?

iTunes showed that the software was up to date when I checked, v6.1.3.

You are using 2 different iPhone's with the same iTunes? Do you have each iPhone labeled with a different phone name? Check on the iPhone in Settings>About. You can use the same iTunes for more devices - just make sure the iPhones have two different names.

Check that the Apple ID (Settings>iTunes & App Store) on the troubled phone is an active one and the same that is registered with iTunes on your computer.

Backed up and restored. All the apps that needed updating installed correctly. Will see how it goes when they need updating again.

Back