updating to 10.5

Phillips

Registered
I have a MDD dual 867 with 1.25 gb of ram. Am currently running 10.4.11.

My question is would updating to 10.5 be worth it as this computer is the low end for that version of OS. Would I have an issue with running of it as to speed etc.
Thanks

Should be OK speed-wise -- maybe slightly slower, depending on what you're doing, but it should handle it at least as well as 10.4.

The big driver in this decision is: do you want to use "modern" software? The reason I ask is because developers are quickly dropping support for Mac OS X 10.4 and using a bunch of new APIs in 10.5. If you plan on keeping that machine for a little while longer, you may find it difficult to find software that is still compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.

I believe Apple still sells Leopard -- but it's not listed on any page on their website... you'd have to actually call Apple and "convince" them that they still sell it (in other words, keep trying different people, moving up the ladder, until you get a hold of someone who knows). From what I've seen, 3rd-party retailers are gouging people on boxed copies of Leopard for FAR greater than what they originally sold for.

Back