Updating to Java 1.5 (Tiger)

Evilguru

Registered
Hi, I have just got a new iBook, which I am very pleased with (it is my first mac). However, I am having some trouble updating Java. Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) comes with Java 1.4.2, however I am a Java 1.5 (J2SE 5.0) developer and make use of many of the features in Java 1.5. So, I went to apple's website and installed it. I then went to 'applications/utilities/java/J2SE 5.0' and opened up the preferences and set J2SE to be my default JRE when an applet is double clicked and in the list-box menu dragged J2SE 5.0 above 1.4.2.
I then went to the Terminal and typed in java -version and I got Java 1.4.2. How can I set Java 1.5.0 (or J2SE 5.0 as it is sometimes known) to be my default java runtime environment and if possible get rid of the other ones (which seem to lurk in my frameworks/java folder).
Thanks for all of your help :D

Moved from Software & Web Programming to System & Software.

I have changed the Current and CurrentJDK soft links to point to 1.5.0 rather than 1.4.2 and everything seems to be working fine now. Did I do it right?

Sorry if I am bringing this back up, but the recent Java Update (from apple) to 1.3.1 and 1.4.2 has reset my soft-link back to 1.4.2 and I am too stupid to know how to set it back and I can not find the article that I used to find out last time.
Can someone help me.

Back