Upgrade advice

mw84

Registered
I'm thinking about upgrading my EMac within the next couple of months and would like anyones opinion on the two options I'm considering to help me decide which way to go. The ones I'm looking at are, the top end IBook and the low end IMac.

They're both the same price, the IMac has a better spec obviously but the IBook would be great for taking to work to watch DVD's when I'm bored etc.(I have pretty much the easiest job in the world). The only thing with the IBook I'm worried about is depreciation with them set to be the first update for the Intel line within the next year or whatever it is. The IMac is like all other IMacs and will hold it's value for a long time when I come to sell it on.

Anyway what do you think?

mw84 said:
The only thing with the IBook I'm worried about is depreciation with them set to be the first update for the Intel line within the next year or whatever it is. The IMac is like all other IMacs and will hold it's value for a long time when I come to sell it on.

The notebooks from Apple generally hold their values better than the desktops and all-in-ones do. What makes you think the iBook will be the first model switched to Intel? No concrete announcements from Apple, as far as I know on that subject.

Either would be a good choice...pick what works best for you and don't worry too much about the future, as it's still a long ways off (12 to 18 months).

Sorry, I meant one of the first. Anyway I went for the 1.8 IMac ! Instead of starting a new thread for a quick question.. When I do receive it, is it possible to get all the programs on my EMac onto it via direct connection with an ethernet cable instead of loads of cd-roms like I did last time or is there a quicker/ better way?

when you receive your new iMac it will start the set up assistant, connect your eMac via FW and you will be guided into transferring data, pref etc...

You can do it manually using the eMac in target mode (start it holding "T") you will see it HD appearing on your iMac desktop as it it was an external HD.

more on the subject here : http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58583

Do i need a special firewire cable or something for this, it doesn't say?

EDIT: Nevermind it does.

Back