CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 2
CPU Speed: 2.3 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 1 MB
Memory: 4.5 GB
Bus Speed: 1.15 GHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.7f1
Serial Number:

I am running 10.4.11 and desperately need itunes 10 as have two ipads and 4 iphones all running IOS5 (updated from windows pc) I was told to buy snow leopard which I did and nope doesn't work, my question what is the best way to update this machine (least cost) and NO i dont want to upgrade my machine (I like this one) ;-0

Matt

10.6 (Snow Leopard) cannot install or run on your PowerMac G5, but 10.5 certainly will.

Your only choice - if you need iTunes 10 - is to upgrade your system to Leopard (OS X 10.5.x)
You will find that Leopard is still quite expensive to purchase, as most places still sell that for more than when it was still available from Apple - $125 or more.
tip - Don't get sucked into buying a set of grey DVDs for Leopard, which will only install on a single Mac model. Get the black label DVD, which is the commercial OS X installer disk.

I love the G5 works well for what I need, All i need is Itunes 10!! I have pro tools HD, Full Reason Music software alongside all my graphics software, all working fine and fast, I have 2 iphone 4s, 1 ipad etc and cant update and have to resort to a crappy PC laptop??

One bad move by an otherwise exemplary company.

Cheapest I have found 10.5 leopard is £80 and no download anywhere?

Surely some clever bod has a workaround for getting itunes 10 on 10.4.11??

There's no workaround.
You'll have to get hold of a Mac OS X 10.5 DVD in order to be able to install iTunes 10.
And in my humble opinion 10.5 is a much better OS than 10.4.

But - with Protools, you always need to make sure that your ProTools will run on 10.5 or higher. Plenty of info about that at the ProTools support pages.

Sorry, I don't agree with your statement "One bad move by an otherwise exemplary company." You have a 6-year old computer. Apple usually drops support for OS X versions two generations old. That's where 10.5 is now, and Apple is no longer providing security updates for 10.5 - and you have to update to 10.5 if you want to use the technology that didn't exist when your PowerMac was new!)

However, you have already used a PC to support your iOS devices...
Why not just continue to use your PC for that? As MS continues to support even XP for security updates (and they need to do that :D ), and the current iTunes continues to be supported with WinXP, then the PC may be a better choice for you???

Back