Upgrade Question

pnarzem

Registered
Hello, I will be upgrading to Panther this weekend and will use the archive option. I will then have to reinstall all my applications (no problem). I have the original iLife package, but here is my question.

Will I be able to find the patches for iMovie 3 and will I have a problem installing the iLife app from CD if I have always pulled it down from the web.

I have heard of some issues that people had problems installing from the CD if you had the downloaded versions on you Mac.

Thanks.

Perry

When you use the install and archive/preserve you will not have to re install your apps. they should all be there untouched.

You may need to move a few folders/files from previous old system (application support) to the new system folder. Your home folder should be untouched also.

pnarzem said:
I have heard of some issues that people had problems installing from the CD if you had the downloaded versions on you Mac.

Perry

Hi Perry. I'm afraid you're more likely to have problems because you are upgrading Panther over Jaguar, which causes problems in almost ALL instances. It is highly recommended that you back up the updates you downloaded (you should be able to find them in your hard drive), and do a complete clean install. Will save you many headaches in the longrun.

make sure you don't wipe the disk first!

If you have only upgrade Panther disks, it needs to find a Jaguar system to work. So you would want to archive everything you need and then run the upgrade disk and choose clean install.

pds said:
make sure you don't wipe the disk first!

If you have only upgrade Panther disks, it needs to find a Jaguar system to work. So you would want to archive everything you need and then run the upgrade disk and choose clean install.

Sorry to bump this, but how do you archive things for a clean install? And wouldn't whatever you archived be wiped out when you format the disk, or are you assuming that the disk has partitions?

If you format the drive, then you are wiping it clean, loosing everything that wasn't backed up.

An archive is like the old clean install. But you must remember when you select Archive and Install, to click on the options button and select preserve. Now your home folder and network settings are saved. All your apps will be saved - minus the Apple iApps, Mail & Safari which get new installs. But your bookmarks and emails will be there.

Go here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

for complete step by step instructions.

Great. Thanks. Will Office X be preserved as well? And if Entourage is being used as the email client, will the email messages be preserved? If not, where is the data file for the email messages in Entourage stored?

Office X will be preserved. Your mail boxes should be in the Library folder in your home folder. You have three library folders. One in the system folder - should not touch that, one on the hard drive, and one in your home folder.
The one folder you should check is the Library folder on the hard drive.
The /library folder holds many important things such as Application support, printers, desktop pictures, anti virus, mozilla stuff.

Cool. Thanks, Cheryl.

I was told to back up all of these folders:

A. /Users/yourshortusername
B. /System/Library/Application Support
C. /Library/Application Support
D. /Applications/Office X (or whatever Mac names that folder)

The first three were said to be backed up via Terminal via an external hard drive. Is there any other way to back up these folders, like burning them to a CD, for instance?

If Terminal must be used because one can not view these folders on account of them being system folders, isn't there a setting that you can change so that you can view these folders like you can on a PC?

Btw, here's the thread that talks about backing up those folders:

http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?p=317944#post317944

The most easiest way to backup with all the invisible files is to use Carbon Copy Cloner. You do not need to use Terminal to back up to an external drive.

You can burn those files to a CD but you will need more than one CD to do it.

In 10.3.4 there is no Application Support in the System>Library - at least on my machine. But the /Library/Application Support is important.

If you have the Office X installer or any app installer, you really do not need to back up the Application folder. Just make sure you have your downloaded app installers backed up. Those will be in your home folder>downloads so when you back up the home folder you will have those.

OK. Thanks. Yeah, if he had the installation CD's, that would be a no brainer. But I guess he lost them or something. He didn't say.

So you can use Carbon Copy Cloner to just back up your system folders? I thought it just backed up your entire drive. You can pick and choose what you want to back up?

Yep, it looks like a Unix GUI but behaves almost like a Mac GUI. You just drag out the stuff you don't want to back up or clone.

Back