Upgrading G3 And 8500/g3 to Osx

ZuZu

Registered
I would like to know how to upgrade two computers to be able to load OSX. The first system is Beige G3 desktop that does not load OS X - it now has OS 9.2. I have tried x post facto and do not know if I placed it in the correct place on the computer but I still could not load OSX.
The 8500 has been upgraded to a G3 with a Newer Technologies board (that is no longer supported, since they went out of business). I would like to load OS X on this system as well. Again I tried the Xpostfacto but do not know if I used it properly and I can not load OS X. I have Panther.
Thanks ZuZu

Be sure that OS X is only installed on the first 7.5 GB of hard drive space on the Beige G3, otherwise it won't install or boot. This means you are going to have to repartition your hard drive so that you have 7.5 GB for the OS X install, and then the other space for whatever you want.

As for the 8500, you can try the same technique as above, but since you are dealing with an unsupported CPU upgrade it might be even fishier than with a stock G3 system.

XPostFacto is your only way to get OS X onto those machines, so it would be to your advantage not to dismiss the software so quickly.

Sonnet Technologies also has an OS X installer for unsupported machines for Panther and below, but I think it's light years behind XPostFacto, so I won't even recommend it.

XPostFacto doesn't have to be in any specific place on the hard drive, but if you're just firing up XPostFacto and giving it a go, you're going about it all wrong. There are things you need to make sure are in place, like nixgeek said -- you must place OS X in a certain partition on the hard drive, you must "play" with certain settings in XPostFacto (timing values, output/input devices, cache settings, etc.) and you must, above all, have patience (chances are OS X won't install the first time... or the second... but it will eventually after tweaking XPostFacto's settings). After all, these machines were never meant to run OS X and, as such, the hardware has to be "tricked" into running OS X, and OS X itself must be "tricked" into thinking it's installing on supported hardware.

Read the FAQs and follow the instructions on the XPostFacto page to a tee. This is one application that, given you've taken the time to follow the instructions and understand what you're doing, will be able to load OS X almost 100% of the time.

http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/Framework.cfm?page=XPostFacto3.html

I know that's a lengthy page to read, but it would be to your advantage to do so, making notes while reading that pertain to your setup. It's not as hard as it seems at first glance, and once you find the correct balance of settings, it's pretty much a "click once and watch it go" procedure.

I've had considerable experience with XpostFacto and a few unsupported machines, so if you have any specific hangups or need some help walking through the process, please don't hesitate to ask here.

Back