Upgrading my 1gb Macbook's memory.. I have some questions.

sciurisciura

Registered
so to my understanding macbooks have 2 memory slots with (in my case) 512MB "DDR2 SDRAM 667Mhz" in them.
I read somewhere that MY macbook will only recognize 3gb of memory. correct me if i'm wrong.

Will I be able to install one 2gb stick and one 1gb stick for 3gb RAM?

below are what I've been looking at buying... and I'd like to know if it's compatible.. or if i'm completely overlooking something?

"OCZ 2GB PC2-5400 667MHz DDR2 Value SoDIMM Module"
"OCZ 1 GB PC2-5400 667 MHz DDR2 SoDIMM Value Module"

please mind my naivety.
I know not what I'm doing, hence my in-depth questioning

Those memory modules look like they'd work.

Yes, you can install a 2GB and a 1GB for a total of 3GB of RAM.

Your MacBook supports 3.3GB of RAM, technically. The MacBooks also get a slight performance boost under certain conditions when two identically-sized chips are installed... This would happen with a 1GB stick and a 1GB stick, or a 512MB stick and a 512MB stick. The performance boost is negligible and barely perceptible to the casual user.

You can cram a 2GB stick and a 2GB stick in there to take advantage of this dual-channel memory boost, but your MacBook will only utilize 3.3GB of that RAM. This is precisely what I've done in my MacBook, as it's the maximum that that specific model will handle. With RAM prices so low, it makes sense to me to go for 2GB + 2GB, even if I lose about 75% of the capacity of one of the chips... no biggie. I have more than 3GB of RAM, and I get the dual-channel boost -- no brainer.

you can always goto www.crucial.com and input make/model and they will give you suggestions. but theoretically any DDR2 667mhz laptop memory will work, i got 2 generic 1GB chips, not even matching models, and i have had ZERO issues.

Back