Upgrading my OSX?

fongster

Registered
Are there free upgrades available for my G4 733's OSX v10.0.4? If so, what is the one to go with--sometimes the 'latest' is not the best? I assume I download at Apple? I don't want to have to spend anything to buy Jaguar, etc. Thanks.

EDIT: There are free upgrades at Apple. I just downloaded one that upgrades from 10.2 to 10.2.8 but my prob is how to get my 10.0.4 to at least 10.2 (that is the minimum version that the site says I need to have to upgrade). 10.0.4 is not even 10.1, I think...

Hi fongster,

There aren't free upgrades. But .. you will notice a LOT faster behaviour of your system if you upgrade.

Panther will be the less buggy and fastest one, but if you want to not spend 129 $, go for Jaguar. I saw the upgrade packs in an Apple Store on monday for 19,95 $. That is a pretty good deal, considering how much more stable, fast and usable 10.2 is than 10.0. :)

... and, if you upgrade, lets say to 10.2 (or 10.3), you will find a lot more software working on your mac than now. In a few months, most softwares new versions will work in 10.3, and the previous versions will become unsupported (may work in them, may not work).

fongster said:
Are there free upgrades available for my G4 733's OSX v10.0.4? If so, what is the one to go with--sometimes the 'latest' is not the best? I assume I download at Apple? I don't want to have to spend anything to buy Jaguar, etc. Thanks.

I also don't have any ideas about free updates, only free opinions :D
(you should be able to find Jaguar at a discount somewhere on the net :) )

This system is a couple of years old, but has lots of life left.
If you are considering any system software updates, you should also consider more RAM, if you upgrade to Jaguar (10.2), or move to the latest Panther (10.3), which I would recommend for any G4. If you have less than 512 MB installed, adding more is always a good upgrade. (would even make your present software work smoother, but keep thinking upgrade)
I believe you would be amazed at the performance difference with both OS and RAM upgraded (a good use for a couple hundred bucks)

So are they one in the same beast, lol? If that is the case, I guess I gotta buy Jaguar and then that free download for 10.2.8 would apply.

fongster said:
So are they one in the same beast, lol? If that is the case, I guess I gotta buy Jaguar and then that free download for 10.2.8 would apply.
Fongster - Don't edit your original post in that way, it confuses someone like myself, who often just looks at new posts :D
Yes, there is a lot of free updates, and in this case, you must already have 10.2.x to use it. 10.0.x has updates, 10.1.x has updates, all 10.2.x is Jaguar, which also has its own set of updates, and a lot more than just the system version update) And as you have seen, upgrading to Jaguar is not free. But when you have Jaguar installed, then other updates through Software Update become available (an internet connection is all that's needed to download ALL relevant updates) That will also allow you to download and use Safari, latest iPhoto, and some other Apple downloads that require some version of Jaguar to work.
BTW, how much RAM do you have?

good Luck in your search!!

Giaguara - What's that reference to 20 $ ?

Back