Upgrading to OS X 10.4.0

rodcampuzano

Registered
Hi

I am trying to upgrade my old Mac from 10.3.9 to 10.4.
I have 10.4.0 and 10.4.2.
With 10.4.0 it goes to all the dialog and then goes to verifying disk, after a long while, it says error verifyiing disk, try again.

the 10.4.2 it gives a inmediate message "cannot perform an upgrade in this computer".

Any help on this?

Thank you

You can't upgrade 10.3.9 with the 10.4.2, probably because it's a 10.4.2 update, and not the installer. Boot to the 10.4.0 installer disk, Go past the first screen, which is Select a language, and then run Disk Utility from the menus. Run Repair Disk (different from Repair Disk Permissions), and see if that will complete without errors. If you can get that to complete without errors, then try to continue on with the 10.4 install. Which Mac is listed on the label of the install disk? Or, is the 10.4 installer on a black disk with a big X across the label?

thank you
In effect there is an error: "incorrect number of thread records".
The tool doesn't repair it.
Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks again.

Is there a trial version? I 'd hate to buy it and see it doesn't work.
Would it be better to format de disk and start from scratch?
What should I use as a backup?

Thanks for your help

Disk Warrior is capable of fixing the disk problem that you are having. You have to check at the Alsoft site for a trial version, but the best results come from booting to the Disk Warrior CD, which must be purchased.
Reformatting your disk is certainly a choice you can make. Is it a BETTER choice? Only if you are ready to reinstall everything.
The usual backup (an external drive of some kind) is always a good thing. You DO already have your important files backed up, don't you?

I had a similar problem. I loaded tiger 10.4 successfully except that when I re-boot I get a dialogue box that tells me to reboot again & again.

I ran the disk repair and there were no problems. I still cannot get the OS X 10.4 to run.

Last edited:
Back