URGENT. Mac Box Set installation question

PowerPC

Registered
Hello, everyone.

Does Mac Box Set (MC209Z/A*) install on a Intel-based Mac without updating the actual OS? I don't want to update any files, I just want to format the HDD and have a new, clean, full install of the Snow Leopard. I want to buy this package and I am not sure if this is only an update or a full new version, because I don't want any update, just the full retail version.

Thank you.

PPC

* http://www.sunsetmac.com/apple-software-c-76/mac-box-set-09-retail-mb997z-a-p-211a

The only way Snow Leopard will install is as a clean install, regardless of whether you are updating from a previous version. Snow Leopard will only install on Intel based Macs. There is no erase and install option; if you want equivalent, you have to erase the volume with Disk Utility before installing.

I don't want to speak for earthsaver - but the Snow Leopard installer does what is needed during an install. If Snow Leopard is already installed, then the SL install does the equivalent of an Archive & Install. If it has Leopard installed, then the SL install does an upgrade, modifying virtually every part of the system, deleting PPC code, and generally pruning the system. That's why an upgrade can lose several GiB during the upgrade, and you could call that a 'clean' install. IMHO, with SL, there's no such thing as a 'simple upgrade', But then SL doesn't have selectable options that previous versions of the OS X install offered. SL decides what it will do, depending on what is already on the drive.
Personally, I use the term 'clean install' to mean an erase and install (nuke 'n pave!). The SL installer doesn't do that without manually using Disk Utility to erase the hard drive first.

Thanks for clarifying. The term "clean install" used to have a different meaning, which I suppose was already confusing. Nonetheless, as you said, the Snow Leopard installer does what one intends based on what's present.

@DeltaMac.

Yes, erase with Disk Utility and install on an empty hdd, that's what I meant by "clean install", too.

Yes, erase with Disk Utility and install on an empty hdd, that's what I meant by "clean install", too.

This was what I was referring to also. I am aware 10.6 doesn't include an erase and install option or archive and install option for that matter.

Back