US bans iPod sales and other gadgets to North Korea

I think this is good because why should we let that nut job have goods...

However we all know that just because the USA, won't give him those goods I am sure A-Hole like that has other connections to get them.

not really going to affect them. we're not talking about a blossoming economy, or in fact a country where anybody really has much disposable income, here.

North Korea has such a bad energy problem that the whole of the north korean peninsula is dark by night. the fact that they are sactioning Plasma Tv's isn't really going to affect them. my parents don't have a plasma tv...

I fully support this move. The major populace of North Korea starves while their tyrannical despot lives in luxury together with his cronies. This move will not have adverse effects on the general population (as opposed to say bombing the place...), but it will serve to weaken Kim Jong Il's position.

How will it it will serve to weaken Kim Jong Il's position, I don't understand.
If these products are so essential to his regime wont he get them from else where like say China.

How will it it will serve to weaken Kim Jong Il's position, I don't understand.
If these products are so essential to his regime wont he get them from else where like say China.

How will lil' Kim plan those military strategies on that old G5! ;)

I fail to see how disallowing the shipment of so called 'luxury goods' will have any real effect. Maybe they were planning on dismantling these plasma tv's and iPods and using their components in the production of weapons.

Seems to me that this is more of a lesson in humility, kind of 'you're Burger King, WE are the boss'.

How will lil' Kim plan those military strategies on that old G5! ;)

I fail to see how disallowing the shipment of so called 'luxury goods' will have any real effect. Maybe they were planning on dismantling these plasma tv's and iPods and using their components in the production of weapons.

Seems to me that this is more of a lesson in humility, kind of 'you're Burger King, WE are the boss'.

Okay Okay... I hear the MacGyver theme song playing as that madman Kim, begins to order the dismantle of the G5's, Ipods, and plasma Televisons... Sigh... lol...

Personally he will find a way to get them... if that freak can watch all the looney toons... than surely he can find a way to get what he wants... Big Brother China will help him... As they have been doing... How do you think he got the information for his new toy the A-Bomb? Sigh...

Nobody doubts that he will still find a way to get them. However, since they are becoming more difficult to get, it will cost him more. Black market goods are always way more expensive. This will mean he will have less luxury goods to shower his close friends/supporters with.

Hopefully, that will cause some cracks to appear in the North Korean leadership, which many have speculated already exist due to the nuclear tests carried out earlier this year.

Yeah Little Kim... He one angry dude... I heard... When the last bond film came out the one with Pirece... Not this new one... He threw a fit because of how accurately his regim was potrayed lmao..

I thought all post G4 macs couldn't be sold to Nth Korea anyway as they passed the standard for old style 'supercomputers' and could be sued for ballistic missile guidance, i remember stories about it when the early G4s appeared.

Mr Kim: Yeah those computers helped me... More than the Standard Microsoft... Computers... I want my Ipod... :p

How does this affect current practice? North Korea and other countries are already embargoed by the U.S.

How does this affect current practice? North Korea and other countries are already embargoed by the U.S.

My understanding from the article is that this is not merely a U.S. embargo, but a U.N. one. In theory, this should mean that all U.N. members including China stop dealings with North Korea. The result is that dictator Kim will have to resort to black market means to procure all these items.

My understanding from the article is that this is not merely a U.S. embargo, but a U.N. one. In theory, this should mean that all U.N. members including China stop dealings with North Korea. The result is that dictator Kim will have to resort to black market means to procure all these items.

Companies trading with U.S. embargoed countries are subjects to the embargo themselves, i.e. a company can't trade with both the U.S. and a U.S. embargoed country. The U.S. is obviously a better market that any of the embargoed countries, so the choice for most multinational companies is obvious.

The U.N. resolution means nothing new for U.S. trade policy; rather, the Bush administration is using the resolution to score a political point.

Back