USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 cables?

pwharff

Registered
I just bought a Canon i960 photo printer and it has USB 1.1 and 2.0 ports, but doesn't come with any USB cable. Here's my question: Is there really a difference in the cable itself? Because I have a bunch of USB cables lying around and I don't want to have to buy a new cable if it's not necessary.

If you're going to connect the printer up to your G4 in your sig, the cables you have lying around should work just fine.

Nice printer, btw =)

well you can only use 2.0 if you have a 2.0 card(or 2003 mac)...

and i don't know why your printer has 2 ports... but 2.0 is backwards compatable with 1.1

As it's USB, it doesn't matter which one you connect a camera or computer to. Probably both are USB 2.0. No need for two different ones. Not even a price discussion for Canon.

You can buy _any_ USB cable with fitting interface (small/big). The cable doesn't decide the speed.

Actually it's a USB 2.0 port on my dad's dual 1.8 G5. When I look at a USB 2.0 cable and a USB 1.0 cable, they look identical, same number of pins, same material and obviously same connector. Thanks for all the help, but I really do believe after doing some testing that it's just a marketing thing to make more money. What makes me think this, well... I just bought for my dad a USB 2.0 card reader that came with a USB 2.0 cable, when I connect it directly to the G5 it transfers 10 3.2 mega-pixel photos in 8 seconds and when I connect it directly to the G5's keyboard, it transfers 10 3.2 mega-pixel photos in 40 seconds. So now, I decide to be sneaky and use one of my old USB 1.0 cables and connect it to the USB 2.0 card reader and directly to my dads G5 and guess what, it still is fast!!! So like I said, I think it's a marketing ploy.

There is no difference in a USB 1.1 compliant, and a USB 2.0 compliant cable. The problem is, only around 30% of USB cables are 1.1 compliant. The sub-par USB cables work OK at lower speeds, but they may start to show problems at higher USB 2.0 speeds. Basically, a quality USB cable is a quality USB cable, and will work with anything, a crappy USB cable is a crappy USB cable and is hit or miss.

Brian

No distinctive difference between cables designated as USB full speed or USB High Speed. Your G5 SYSTEM ports are USB High Speed (the old USB 2.0 designation), the USB ports on the keyboard will only pass USB Full Speed (the old USB 1.1 standard) If you need more USB 2.0 ports, then add a multi port hub for USB 2.0 (High Speed)
I agree with Brian here, there are some crappy cables available, buy good brand names (such as Belkin)

Back