USB and FireWire converters?

Since getting a eMac is probably at some point gonna involve investing in a FireWire device of some kind i have some questions does the Power Supply provided with USB/FireWire enclosures need to be used when using FireWire? of course FireWire Drive for use on a mac would also require a FireWire Card for a Linux computer so my question is do PCI FireWire Cards also provide said 30V Macs do? I know that FireWire drives will power up and work just fine on an 12V firewire port. do they have FireWire keyboards or mice?

I also read that apart from the higer voltage and the faster speed FireWire is no different than USB so why does Apple push the need of FireWire ports when most people will not have a use for them.

Also i did read that all macs (even the PPC ones) can boot from USB Flash Drives aslong as the flash drive is formatted properly.

Since getting a eMac is probably at some point gonna involve investing in a FireWire device of some kind i have some questions does the Power Supply provided with USB/FireWire enclosures need to be used when using FireWire? of course FireWire Drive for use on a mac would also require a FireWire Card for a Linux computer so my question is do PCI FireWire Cards also provide said 30V Macs do? I know that FireWire drives will power up and work just fine on an 12V firewire port. do they have FireWire keyboards or mice?

I also read that apart from the higer voltage and the faster speed FireWire is no different than USB so why does Apple push the need of FireWire ports when most people will not have a use for them.

Also i did read that all macs (even the PPC ones) can boot from USB Flash Drives aslong as the flash drive is formatted properly.

The need for an external power source for a firewire enclosure depends on what size drive will be used. 3.5 inch drive, then yes external power will be needed as there is not enough bus power, 2.5 inch drive then no.

Firewire is preferred sometimes because it does not use the CPU. Therefor the processor won't slow down on data transfer rates because the processor is needed for other tasks. Firewire runs independently of the processor for maximum speeds and consistentcy.

No, PPC won't boot usb. Similarly there is no target disk mode through usb. You say you read that somewhere than it wasn't a reliable source.

I don't remember ever seeing a 3.5-inch Firewire drive that gets power from the bus.
Most 2.5-inch _are_ bus powered...
Likely just a difference in the current needed for the larger drives, so an enclosure would come with that power source, either through a wall-wart, or internal power supply that just plugs into your house power.

There's several choices on this page - http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/

I agree - so I more often deliberately use other search engines.

But then - doesn't typing your question in any search engine give you a quicker result than waiting for a response here?
Plus, it could be illogical to always assume your "buds" here will give you accurate answers... I heartily recommend that you search some of these answer for yourself. You may find that you will sometimes come up with different conclusions.

Panther came with iMovie (likely the last free version, which would be iMovie 3, I think.
Tiger did not include a version of iMovie.
According to this article https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-1707
Panther came with iLife, and whatever would be current for the iLife version when the installer was updated, which would be, at most, iMovie 5.
Tiger does not include iMovie, although that would have been bundled as iLife with new Macs at that time.
After OS X 10.4 (Tiger) was released, iLife is no longer included with the OS X install. Although iLife is bundled with any new Mac, it's no longer a part of the OS X install.

Here is the deal. iMovie ships with the computer, not with the OS. It shipped with computers that had Tiger preinstalled. It did not ship with the retail version of Tiger. If you want or need to upgrade iLife from the version that shipped with your computer, then you must hand over some duckets.

Back