USB devices going crazy after Security Update

ShotgunSaint

Registered
I know I posted this in the Intel forum, but the problem is still plaguing me and I can't seem to find the information I need anywhere else.

Basically what happened is while I was receiving security update 2006-001 my system locked toward the end of the installation, and I was forced to hard-shut off the machine. Since then I have had problems with my USB midi controller and USB hard drive "falling off". If the hard drive falls out, it appears to still be mounted, but trying to access it (via iTunes or Finder) causes both applications to lock until I hard-shut off the drive. When the keyboard falls out it just ceases to function.

Anyway, how can I remove and reinstall the security update? I've upgraded from 10.4.5 to 10.4.6 since this happened, and it didn't fix it.
Thanks for your helps,
Aeryn

Unplug the extra HSB devices from your Mac except for the keyboard and mouse. Then boot up into open firmware mode (restart holding down the buttons command+option+o+f while booting. You then will boot into a white screen (with black text) and a prompt that is called: ok>. At this prompt type exactly this:

1) reset-nvram
2) reset-all

Your Mac then will restart into OS X. Then try to plug your USB devices back in, one at a time. see if this works.

This doesn't get me anywhere except back to the desktop, albeit with my hard drive now listed *under* my desktop pictures folder. Do I have to enable something to make this work? I tried it three times.

Back